The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some reviews on this amp. Have an opportunity at a used one. Have never tried one before. Any feedback?

The Custom Valve 50blue has been tweaked and tuned to be a much 'darker, Brit-sounding' guitar amplifier. Unlike the rest of the Custom Valve line, the YCV50blue is powered by EL34s in the power stage, giving it a little more 'attitude' than the 5881 (6L6) tubes used in the YCV40s and 80's.

Three Sovtek 12AX7WA dual triode preamp tubes provide real tube front-end overdrive in the Custom Valve 50blue. The presence control typically seen on other amps in the Custom Valve line has been removed from the YCV50blue and replaced with a new master volume control, giving the player more flexibility with the clean channel, and the ability to drive both lead and clean channels harder at a more livable playing volume.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've played a couple at various stores, and they seem like a great amp... I was looking at the YCV40 at L&M, but the guy was telling me that this was a better amp... he was probably just trying to upsell me tho.:rockon:

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
I'm using a YCV40. I don't know how similar the amps are, but mine is not bad.

The clean tones are it's strong point. They have a Fenderish vibe but seem a bit fatter.

The oververdrive is not bad at all. The high gain sounds are so so. I'm searching for the right distortion pedal to improve this area.

One thing I would recomend, depending on your tastes is to get the optional closed back extension cabinet (1 X 12).

I personally HATE the ratty sound of open backed combos and the closed back cab really tightens things up.

The loop works fine.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I owned one, and they are a fantastic amp. I only got rid of it because I am not playing live much anymore and I wanted to downsize.

The 50 is completely different sounding then the other YCV amps. Mainly because it's the only one of the series that runs on EL34 power tubes. While the clean channel is quite good, the amps gain channel is it's strong point. It's got a beautiful 'Marshall' type crunch to it. And it can get into pretty high gain territory too.

The amp really only has 2 weak points. The stock Sovtek tubes sound horrible. As soon as you swap them with something like a set of JJ's, both channels warm right up and the gai channel gets much smoother. Second, I don't think a Celestion Vintage 30 is the best speaker choice for this amp. It's a mid/treble heavy speaker in an amp that already has a lot of mid/treble. You might like it, but if I had kept the amp I would have ended up swapping out the speaker.

They are usually a great deal used. I know I took a beating selling mine. For some reason the Traynor amps don't hold their value. It sucks as a seller, but as a buyer you can clean up.

If there is anything else you want to know about the amp, I might be able to help. I owned it for a little over a year.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like a nice amp. I seen this one at a shop in the States and I think they had it listed for $499 USF. It looked liked it just came out of the box but they are listing it as used. I think the price new is around $799 USF.

I am debating getting it. But I have to stop blowing money for a bit. Christmas.. I have cruise coming up in January and it looks like no bonus again this year due to the shiite auto industry.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I am willing to bet if you put up a 'wanted to buy ad' on Craigslist and Kijiji, you could find one of them locally for less money (and no shipping hassles). I see them on there frequently. Most people selling them used have already swapped out the stock tubes too which saves even more.

I don't think the fact that they are common used relates to the quality of the amp either. They are a small amp that is very powerful, and I think people buy them then realize they just don't need that much amp.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
GC, here's one that I've seen a couple of weeks ago here in Ottawa. Heres the ad:

Traynor YCV50BL A1 condition, sounds great. Includes amp cover. $500.00 For photos, visit: Click Here For more info contact Jason at: 613.657.1773 or
[email protected]

I am not sure how much it would cost to ship it but at $500 I think its a good deal.

Chito

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Interesting, but I am always a bit concerned when people are dumping amps soon after they get them. There must be a reason right? I will check that out though.
I had mine for less then a year. I bought it with plans to gig with it, and played one show with it before my band went on break. I decided I wanted a lower wattage, smaller amp for home use so I sold it. It had a year warranty left on it, and was in pristine shape. The guy who bought it got a great deal.

There are a lot of people selling them on Craigslist who put the exact same reason in their ads. The 50blue is a pretty small looking amp. It's decieving. A lot of people buy it for home use and realize it's just too much amp. And a lot of people just go through amps like crazy. I know I have owned at least 20 whil searching for 'my sound'.

With some shopping you can easily find one with warranty still left on it.

The quality rivals or beats any other amps in the price range though. Plus they have some cool features like auto-biasing. The amp is also dead quiet which is pretty impressive.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
CocoTone said:
No one seems to keep the new Traynors long. Its too bad they share the same name as the real Traynors of yesteryear. Far better amps guys.

CT.
I can't agree with that.

I know old Traynors are en vogue these days, but frankly I never met anyone through the 70s and 80s who would use one live. The new ones sound much better to my ear.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I know 2 people who use the YBA-1's live, and I used a YGM-3 live a few times. They are all great amps.

The new Traynor amps have some great features though, and are a way better value then most amps in the price range.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Milkman said:
I can't agree with that.

I know old Traynors are en vogue these days, but frankly I never met anyone through the 70s and 80s who would use one live. The new ones sound much better to my ear.
I've got agree with Milkman on this. In the late 70's and early 80's around here no one played Traynors or Garnets. There were tons around but it was the name game thing and unfortunately those amps were looked down on. It was stupid and alot of people missed out on some really great sounding amps. I own a pile of garnets now and with a little tweaking they are great sounding amps, as are the old traynors I have fixed up for guys.

I can't comment on the new Traynors, but must admit I'd like to give the YVC50Blue a try myself.

·
Premium Member
8,620 Posts
I have one of the first 10-15 sold in Canada, back when they were considered a 'special edition' run, of 50 or 100 I forget.

It's a GREAT amp. Basically, to me this thing is a JCM800 combo except with fully channel switching (including independent EQ sections) and a way better clean channel. Nice 'verb on it too.

The master works great, you can dime it and get a super nice crunch off the clean channel that cleans up nicely with the guitar volume. The gain channel goes from mild OD to fairly hairy distortion, tho certainly not Mesa territory. Yes the amp with the Celestion is middy - my response to that is always 'heck ya, isn't that where the guitar LIVES in the spectrum?' As a 1x12, yer not gonna get a super heavy bottom but it does have an 8 ohm out that still keeps the combo speaker going at the same time. Set it atop a 2x12 cab and feel yer pants blowin in the wind ;)

It's very very easy to dial in 2 good-to-great sounds on any guitar, I've used strats, teles, P90's and a couple of Les Pauls thru mine. My kids also use it in their (sorta nu-metal but not quite) band.

Construction on the thing is bullet proof, as you would expect from an item with a 2-year 'anything breaks except tubes we fix it' warranty.

Is it all things to everyone? Heck no, but I sure love mine.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
torndownunit said:
I know 2 people who use the YBA-1's live, and I used a YGM-3 live a few times. They are all great amps.

Yeah but how many guys you know used them when they came out?

I don't doubt they're good amps, but they were considered cheap in their day.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I wasn't alive when they came out :) .

I as just pointing out that they are perfectly good live amps. I am aware that they had a 'stimga' attached to them in there day, but it obviously doesn't relate to their quality or durability. They are great live amps.

I mean, it's the same thing with Godin guitar nowadays. They are amazingly well built guitars but are hugely underrated. And the resale value on Godin and new Traynor amps is horrible.

It's too bad because none of this reflects the quality of the products in any way. Part of it's because they are Canadian companies (which would have been a worse 'problem' in the 60-70's) and part of it is they just don't have the name recognition or advertising $'s the bigger companies have.

The amp that look really interesting is the new YCV15blue. I'd love to hear one. The only thing that looks 'bad' in the specs is it weighs 46 lbs. That's pretty hefty for a 15 watt amp.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts