The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has played through a YCS100 yet. Sounds like a potential monster, especially for the asking price.

Kirb

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've been curious about that amp myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tried one in a music store the other week. All 3 channels on the 30W setting thru a 412 cab at moderate volume. Sounded anemic next to a peavey classic 30, which I ended up getting.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I would have thought the YCV-40 or YCV Blue would be more in the ball park with a Classic 30. Or was it one of those "I think I'll try that since I'm here" kind of things?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Emohawk said:
Interesting. I would have thought the YCV-40 or YCV Blue would be more in the ball park with a Classic 30. Or was it one of those "I think I'll try that since I'm here" kind of things?
Have a ycv40 & matching cab which has served me well so far & so the CS100 piqued my interest. Had no intention of trying the peavey, but while I was test driving the traynor, someone had fired up the c30 & it just sounded thicker/fuller/bigger/better to my ears. Hard to believe, I know, but that's how it was & so the c30 changes another's mind.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Electric I said:
Have a ycv40 & matching cab which has served me well so far & so the CS100 piqued my interest. Had no intention of trying the peavey, but while I was test driving the traynor, someone had fired up the c30 & it just sounded thicker/fuller/bigger/better to my ears. Hard to believe, I know, but that's how it was & so the c30 changes another's mind.
It doesn't surprise me all that much actually. For starters, the Classic 30 is a wonderful little amp, and with a tube swap & a different speaker it's even nicer. Also, the YCS100's Class A (30w) mode uses some sort of plate voltage scaling to achieve the trick. I have a friend with a Bogner XTC that does a similar trick, and it too sounds a little thin compared to the full-on mode.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...interesting.

i have been using the traynor ycv40wr, but have been thinking about switching to the little peavey classic 30, as it seems to have more personality and mojo. i plan to buy one and, if it works out, keep the traynor as a backup.

-dh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Emohawk said:
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has played through a YCS100 yet. Sounds like a potential monster, especially for the asking price.

Kirb
tried one at a store,did everything I wanted it to do,I'll get one soon as I find a deal in a pawnshop or used someplace

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fred ludlow said:
tried one at a store,did everything I wanted it to do,I'll get one soon as I find a deal in a pawnshop or used someplace
Any comments on tone? Sounds like it should be pretty versatile. I'm wondering if it's more vintage (upper-mid) voiced or modern (lower-mid/scooped) voiced, or if it can handle both with all the options. If the two gain channels can be set up one for each of those, that would be perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traynor Custom Special

Anemic?? You kidding right? It is the thickest tube saturation I have heard! I don't think you took the time to EQ it properly. The no. 1 channel can emulate modern high gain 'scooped' amps like the Mesa Rectifier perfectly. The no. 2 channel is Marshall crunch all the way and the no. 3 clean is excellent. It is three amps in one, three fully independent channels (thats why there are so many knobs, it really is very simple) two separate loops. I have owned all matter of amps, this is the MOST complete amp I have ever had. Lead boost, accutronic reverb (I use a Lexicon for my verb and delay, however) and a price tag complete with 4 x 12 V30 cabinet for less that a Mesa Dual rec head or a Marshall JCM head. An absolute steal of a deal. And no noise either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is a very old thread, but I will revive it...

I just got myself one of these beasts, the H2. Wow, what an amplifier. I am still amazed at the tones this head can deliver and for the cost!

I tried it along a dual rectifier and found it to be very similar in tone when using the "high gain" channel, much more rounded when using the "crunch" channel and quite a bit better when using the clean channel. The mesa is the better looking amp, and everything about it feels luxurious, but the Traynor gives you more tones for less than half the price.

While the Mesa does give you that "Recto" tone that you can only get from the real thing, I feel the Traynor can do everything else the Mesa does, plus more, while at the same time, getting you very close to that "recto" sound (that is so tasty).

For those who haven't tried the Traynor, I suggest you do, you have absolutely nothing to lose here.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up getting one after starting this thread *and hearing a friend of mine play through one at a Metallica tribute show). I haven't tried the H2 (mine's the original version).

It's a good amp, but the factory tubes are a little lifeless. I've re-tubed it & swapped the EL34's for 6L6's. It's almost like a different amp.

I think I have another thread in here somewhere about the tone & stuff so I won't repeat it.

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
This is a very old thread, but I will revive it...

I just got myself one of these beasts, the H2. Wow, what an amplifier. I am still amazed at the tones this head can deliver and for the cost!

I tried it along a dual rectifier and found it to be very similar in tone when using the "high gain" channel, much more rounded when using the "crunch" channel and quite a bit better when using the clean channel. The mesa is the better looking amp, and everything about it feels luxurious, but the Traynor gives you more tones for less than half the price.

While the Mesa does give you that "Recto" tone that you can only get from the real thing, I feel the Traynor can do everything else the Mesa does, plus more, while at the same time, getting you very close to that "recto" sound (that is so tasty).

For those who haven't tried the Traynor, I suggest you do, you have absolutely nothing to lose here.
You're aware that the mesa has the bold/spongy features and other stuff at the back to keep tweaking the tones, right?

Not knocking the traynor, but to say it offers more than the mesa... i've tried both, im not buying that lol.

when on a budget, the traynor is the better buy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're aware that the mesa has the bold/spongy features and other stuff at the back to keep tweaking the tones, right?

Not knocking the traynor, but to say it offers more than the mesa... i've tried both, im not buying that lol.

Very true. The reason I went for the Traynor at the time was because I didn't have the scratch for a DR. I still want a DR though - nothing sounds quite like it. :)

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
I may very well end up with both.. around the age of 30, but i'll do it! lol (that's 9 years from now)

I remember when $1400 for an amp seemed expensive :( (you can snag used dual's for around that these days)

·
Registered
88 Posts

If you are looking in terms of that "Recto" sound, then no. As I mentioned before, you can only get that from a mesa. As far as getting sparkly cleans, marshally sounds, and brutal tones, yeah, the traynor will give you more variety. The clean channel in the dual recto was a bit stale I thought.

I think I will replace the tubes in the traynor with 6L6 tubes for kicks to see how they work with it. My previous amp was a 6L6 based amp, and I liked it, but hated the distortion in it.

The amp certainly has a sound of its own and that is a good thing I think :) What don't think is a good thing is the foot pedal. I am very annoyed that it won't be easy to replicate all the functions of the foot pedal with a midi controller.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If your looking to change up the sound a bit talk to the tube store, they can match up some tubes close to what your looking for.

Those guys know there stuff!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts