The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who has an es-330 with a trap tailpiece. I get to play it when we jam at his place. When I'm not using a pick, which is often, I sometimes lift a string right out of the saddle. Usually the b or g string. This has made me wary of ever buying a guitar with a trap. I play fairly heavily and have never had this problem with stop tails. Comments?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Your playing style might warrant a look at string size and the grooves in the saddles. Trap will have a lower load on the saddles (reduced break angle), and adding fatter strings perhaps for a jazz player may leave the strings open to misplacement by you, if the saddle grooves are unaltered from stock to accomodate. I'm sure you could play a trap rig with a proper setup for you, your preferred string type, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,866 Posts
@alwaysflat 's post covered all of what I would suspect as the cause(s) of your frustration. My guitar (see avatar pic) has never been a problem. However, I never "dig in" to any real extent (fingers or pick).

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have a closer look at the guitar next time I'm over there. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts