The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few months of playing my Godin freeway 5 and not getting comfy with it I picked up a cheap Yamaha 4. The Yamaha felt like I just got home super easy and comfy to play.

After a while I took the 5 back out and put the 4 away, after a month of playing I just never got comfy.

So back to L&M to pick up an active 4 in a Yamaha RBX374..a bit cheap but feel and sound is amazing. I am pulling a bit of a fast one on them, they are getting some new BB's in before my 30 days and I will trade up.:D

Bev

·
Registered
163 Posts
As long as you are having fun it is all good :D I switched back to 4's but that was because I wasn't using the 5 as much, however I wouldn't rule out getting another 5, particular a Yammie or a Peavey.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you ain't comfortable then you won't play your best, the hardest part I found with the 5 was going 35" scale after using short-scale 4's for many years, big stretch. I went 5 to 'push' myself.

But now, I wouldn't give up the 5 no matter what, it's definitely 'me' and though I find myself faster on a 4, I feel like I'm missing a gear or I forgot my earrings or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basses Loaded 5 string NYC

Does anyone have a 5 string Basses Loaded, made in NYC?
I have played one for 17 years but don't see many around.

It was made for me in 91 sunburst with Bartolini pickups.
records great have done many sessions with it.

Great forum for us. thanks for this

Garth Vogan Hamilton, ON

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does anyone have a 5 string Basses Loaded, made in NYC?
I have played one for 17 years but don't see many around.

It was made for me in 91 sunburst with Bartolini pickups.
records great have done many sessions with it.
Honestly in all my years of playing I have heard of that make before. Is it a custom bass? It sounds like a special bass in any case :)

Pictures?...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
L&M called and said someone traded in a Yamaha BB614, took a look and it is beyond mint. Natural finish with clear coat and Maple neck...$385:banana:
Pick it up Saturday!

There is, was... a Bases Loaded 5 at Encore Music, check the site to see if it still there..Not sure of the price but it was well under $1000.

Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basses Loaded

I don't see any of these basses around either.
After 911, I'm not sure if the store is even there anymore.
they are or were on West 23rd street and 7th or 8th Ave I believe, near what was the WTC
The owner is a guy named Bill Merchant. they also restore and store uprights and do most of the custom work for the NYC guys.
The bass at Encore was my first one that was a stock make, I sold it and it ended up there
I still use it as my every day bass. I have recorded many sessions with it.
I will get pics How do we post pics??
thanx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts