The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This really grinds my gears - sellers putting a different value for sale and for trade. C'mon guys, there can only be one price. An item is worth x and not x + $300. If I see ads on here for things I really wnat and see this, I immediately move on as it strikes me as pretentious.

My 2p worth,

Love you all (except Larry who won't trade me his Line 6 Variax)
Jim

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
I never understood it and usually ignore trade values like they're vegans or Mormon's :)

Reactions: Wardo
G

·
I've seen ads like that and usually the trade value is higher than the asking price.
I answered one ad that was written like this and I asked why the difference.
His reasoning was that he'd have to flip it to get the money that he wants.
Oh .. so my trade offer is also worth more, correct?

except Larry who won't trade me his Line 6 Variax
It's still a possibility, but as I mentioned before, you have to bump up your end a bit with the GS2.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
I always assumed it was that everyone over-values their own equipment and you need to compensate for that. Also, cash is KING!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Isn't the cash price usually higher?

Makes sense.

The seller is saying I would rather trade this than sell it.
I've seen ads like that and usually the trade value is higher than the asking price.
I answered one ad that was written like this and I asked why the difference.
His reasoning was that he'd have to flip it to get the money that he wants.
Oh .. so my trade offer is also worth more, correct?

I usually see them with a higher trade value than cash price ,
that makes sense to me ,from a seller's pov.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
I listed a few item on CL with a heading FS/FT and prices for each item. I a had few people that seemed quite offended I wouldn't take a cash offer less than the listed price. They all assumed that the listed prices were for trade. I had one guy offer me a guitar worth much less than my gear who couldn't understand that I hadn't inflated my trade value because he always inflated his. For me an item is worth what I list it for. If you don't agree then we don't have a deal. I'm fine if you want to make an offer but don't get all upset when I say no thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
I always assumed it was that everyone over-values their own equipment and you need to compensate for that. Also, cash is KING!
Correct. Cash always trades at a premium. I don't put trade values (mostly because I don't usually trade) but there is rational to this. A cash transaction is "worth more" than an exchange or bartering of goods meaning a seller is willing to accept less for a cash transaction. With a trade in, you would usually expect a premium to the price. This applies to any deal or transaction and not just gear.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually see them with a higher trade value than cash price ,
that makes sense to me ,from a seller's pov.
It makes no sense at all. A guitar (or whatsoever) is worth a certain value. Why would I trade you one worth $2300 for one which you say is only worth $2000? I would be down $300 straightaway.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct. Cash always trades at a premium. I don't put trade values (mostly because I don't usually trade) but there is rational to this. A cash transaction is "worth more" than an exchange or bartering of goods meaning a seller is willing to accept less for a cash transaction. With a trade in, you would usually expect a premium to the price. This applies to any deal or transaction and not just gear.
No it's not. When trading I will ensure that I do not lose any money on the deal.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I listed a few item on CL with a heading FS/FT and prices for each item. I had few people that seemed quite offended I wouldn't take a cash offer less than the listed price. They all assumed that the listed prices were for trade. I had one guy offer me a guitar worth much less than my gear who couldn't understand that I hadn't inflated my trade value because he always inflated his. For me an item is worth what I list it for. If you don't agree then we don't have a deal. I'm fine if you want to make an offer but don't get all upset when I say no thanks.
I ignore ads with different FS/ FT prices.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
It makes no sense at all. A guitar (or whatsoever) is worth a certain value. Why would I trade you one worth $2300 for one which you say is only worth $2000? I would be down $300 straightaway.
I said from a seller's point of view it makes sense.
If I am selling something because I want/need the cash, or am downsizing for whatever reason,then why accept something I don't really want for an even trade ?
I'd just have to try and sell that .
As a buyer,it is not as attractive for sure, but I can see it working in some scenarios .
Might even be something I'd consider given the right conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
No it's not. When trading I will ensure that I do not lose any money on the deal.
Whereby another seller may put a price that they think may accelerate the sale or reflects a better FMV (ie cash price). Again, I am willing to accept less for a cash price than entertain various trade options. FWIW, I don't put trade values and when I get a trade offer, I simply work with the differential in pricing of both instruments. The main argument (and not a good one) is that I will get someone state that they priced their instrument X (which is almost the price of a new widget) whereby I've discounted mine say 30%. Ideally, you would have one price with trades, no trades, firm etc. I think the trade value came about because of aggressive traders trying to pull the example I stated above. However, even if you state one price, you should expect to pay more in a trade situation versus a cash transaction (assuming you are the buyer wanting a trade in).

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I said from a seller's point of view it makes sense.
If I am selling something because I want/need the cash, or am downsizing for whatever reason,then why accept something I don't really want for an even trade ?
I'd just have to try and sell that .
As a buyer,it is not as attractive for sure, but I can see it working in some scenarios .
Might even be something I'd consider given the right conditions.
Because it is a buyer's market. Why the hell would you trade for something you don't want.

This is ridiculous - Any item is worth a single pride - end of.

In reality, when we trade we negotiate a common price which is agreeable to both parties. This will undoubtedly be below this magical 'trade value'

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
This is ridiculous - Any item is worth a single pride - end of.
Not at all,you've never got an offer of a better price for anything if you pay cash ?

That's what it comes down to,as was pointed out in your other thread,amongst a few other points thrown in.
As for ignoring sales with different sales/trade value,that is certainly your prerogative , as is the option to employ it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts