The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Burny LP up for sale and have been offered a JEM 7 RB as a straight trade, anyone care to opine on this one?

Good or bad... I have no interest in pointy guitars and Floyd Rose, so my thinking is I may do better flipping the JEM, but it would have to be better and to me that means the JEM would do better on a trade, or bring more cash than the Burny, it looks like the JEM sells for more but my problem is I'm not sure they sell at all...

Do the guys who like these have the loot for them, are they likely to have other non-pointy guitars to trade, I don't get a warm feeling about this one, what say you.

·
Premium Member
16,655 Posts
Are you adding cash? If it's a straight trade with the prices listed in the ad, either the dude loves sykes (possible) or he's been sitting on that JEM for a while (also possible). I would estimate the Burny to be the easier sale locally - if you posted that JEM on a board where Ibanez is popular you may move it faster (and for some USD).

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
I'm a Les Paul guy at heart and have no love for Floyd Rose. My opinion would be extremely biased and useless to you.

Reactions: Jimmy_D

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like floyds and pointy 80's styles guitars, but if you're a traditional les Paul type of guy, I would steer clear.

You will take a wash on the price of used Ibanez instruments. If he paid $1900 for this guitar and it's in mint condition, he might see a sale around the $800 mark if he's lucky. You can buy Ibanez prestige instruments all day for half price; any higher than that and it'll just sit for months. The jem is a very niche instrument; lots love them, but there are other options in that price range (Carvin, charvel, Jackson etc.)

·
Premium Member
16,655 Posts
If he paid $1900 for this guitar and it's in mint condition, he might see a sale around the $800 mark if he's lucky.
The ad says the JEM is listed at $1900. I don't know how rare they are, but if they are rare then the lack of the original case will hurt a sale to a collector/fan. In general, a floyd rose equipped guitar is going to be harder to sell - especially on these forums specifically.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No case with the JEM if it's a straight trade, Yorkville case goes with the Burny.

I'm reading above exactly what I'm thinking, it's hard to move the JEM at anywhere near the price they seem to be listed for, and the Burny has more likely takers...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well, it seems like if you want to sell pointy guitars, this isn't the place to do it. :) Like others here, if I were offered both of those guitars at the same price, I'd go with the Burny hands down.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if either of you are unable to sell the guitars as fast as you'd like, it probably means they are both not priced correctly. I don't know anything about the Ibanez, but in my opinion the Burny might be a bit high. Personally, I love the mods & upgrades you've done to the guitar. To me, it makes it more desirable, but not necessarily more valuable. If you priced the guitar without factoring in what you spent on the mods, you will probably get a lot more interest.

Modding guitars is never a great investment. It makes the gear more personal, but it's hard to get the value back in a sale. Their value could come back in interested offers, though. For example, I probably wouldn't be interested in the John Sykes Les Paul in stock condition at all. But because you have made it more appealing to my taste, it is now something worth considering. And that's not because I can't do the upgrades myself, I just know it's a hassle.

It's like buying a house with a pool. Pools are great and very expensive to put in, but they have an extremely minor impact on the value of a house. But for those that like pools, that house with a pool is now worth considering while one without is not.

·
Premium Member
16,655 Posts
Yeah, don't expect to recoup costs on mods - you're lucky if you can pull that one off. I never have.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I like shredders. I don't get the love for jap LP knockoffs personally, no offense, because yours looks immaculate. If I was in buying mode, Id pay $1200-1400 for a Jem. this model is one of the cheaper ones. The no-case thing is an issue, lots of jems get beat on and theres lots of fakes.
but Jem lovers like them a lot.
A forum where the average age is 60 isn't the right forum for them though :)

Id say its a fair trade because I think youre priced high..IMO theyre both $1200 guitars with equal appeal/rareness/nicheness .but if you don't want what hes trading, don't bother.
on Ebay youd move the Jem faster in the US, but fuck with all the CITES talk about rosewood now.....

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
if you don't want what hes trading, don't bother
Agreed. I don't like to take something I wouldn't be okay getting stuck with, unless it's an insane deal I know will pay off quickly.

I don't get the love for jap LP knockoffs personally
Many late 70's / early 80's ones were so well made that they put the American guitars to shame. Even today, a USA guitar of equivalent quality would probably cost double the going rate of the early Japanese knockoffs, so they are a great value as player's guitars. On the other hand, others were made of plywood, so there is a range of quality where not all Japanese guitars of the era deserve the love. The Burny's I have tried though are quite nice.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, it seems like if you want to sell pointy guitars, this isn't the place to do it. :) Like others here, if I were offered both of those guitars at the same price, I'd go with the Burny hands down.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if either of you are unable to sell the guitars as fast as you'd like, it probably means they are both not priced correctly. I don't know anything about the Ibanez, but in my opinion the Burny might be a bit high. Personally, I love the mods & upgrades you've done to the guitar. To me, it makes it more desirable, but not necessarily more valuable. If you priced the guitar without factoring in what you spent on the mods, you will probably get a lot more interest.

Modding guitars is never a great investment. It makes the gear more personal, but it's hard to get the value back in a sale. Their value could come back in interested offers, though. For example, I probably wouldn't be interested in the John Sykes Les Paul in stock condition at all. But because you have made it more appealing to my taste, it is now something worth considering. And that's not because I can't do the upgrades myself, I just know it's a hassle.

It's like buying a house with a pool. Pools are great and very expensive to put in, but they have an extremely minor impact on the value of a house. But for those that like pools, that house with a pool is now worth considering while one without is not.
Damn good post.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
if I had the cash, and had to choose between the 2? I'd grab the Burny for sure

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many late 70's / early 80's ones were so well made that they put the American guitars to shame. Even today, a USA guitar of equivalent quality would probably cost double the going rate of the early Japanese knockoffs, so they are a great value as player's guitars. On the other hand, others were made of plywood, so there is a range of quality where not all Japanese guitars of the era deserve the love. The Burny's I have tried though are quite nice.
I'm of the opinion that the years between 1977 and the early 90's produced some Japanese guitars, that in terms of quality of materials and especially in terms of workmanship, surpass almost all guitars available in what is the price range of those same MIJ guitars today, so to me they represent a quality instruments for less.

Mods, no money for mods... that's true, but after building a lot of guitars myself over 30 something years I like to consider this guitar "completely rebuilt", not simply modified, so while a good point has been made regarding the value of mods, I'm discounting that theory in the case of this guitar. :D

So tbh I didn't price it with a tally of guitar + time and material for the work, in fact I got it along with another guitar in a trade, so the even exact cost to me is questionable.

I priced it by what I think it's worth in today's market, I might be wrong but I had some good trade offers when I listed it for a couple weeks last year, and more since listing it again in the last week, and even more today, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to make out ok but it may take a while.

We can test my theory all again shortly when I post my completely refinished and "completely rebuilt" 1975 Greco TVB600 LP Jr Bass, in all Gold, coming to a classified section near you soon.

Thanks for the opinions gents, I wanted to gauge the Ibanez interest and based on that I think the JEM is out.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The Jem is worth more, and it's easy to move them.
Make an account on sevenstring.org and you will find a buyer fast for an old Jem.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
after building a lot of guitars myself over 30 something years I like to consider this guitar "completely rebuilt", not simply modified
I wish it was different, but unless you have some kind of brand equity like Nash or Danocaster, assembled guitars aren't even worth as much as the parts used to make them. The time taken to build them is a complete non-factor. Having built some myself as well, it's a fun hobby and potentially a good way to get a quality instrument for a little less. But without some name recognition and demand, I will never get my money back.

I saw one person on here had the good idea of trading his partscaster for someone else's partscaster -- trading like for like as neither party could expect much in terms of cash. Seemed like a good idea of getting something of similar value in return for the initial investment.

An exception to this would be guitars built entirely from scratch by a craftsman. That value is much harder to quantify. Even some partscasters with quality finishing can differentiate themselves a bit from those that just put together existing parts (which is probably how the previously mentioned Nash & Danocaster and others make a name for themselves).

But I am rather new here, so maybe you have some some sought-after work. If that's the case, definitely mention that in the ad so potential buyers can look into previous work.

Again, mods/changes/builds/rebuilds can all be good, it's just hard to quantify the value. The only reason Nash guitars cost what they do is because there is demand from people to pay the price they are asking. But there are probably much nicer guitars locally made from scratch for much less because they aren't well known with demand for their product.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts