The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
song needs no introduction ( if you are old enough)
but this version from the song writer is amazing.
enjoy.
G.

·
Registered
24,357 Posts
I like Mickey Newbury's work, but prefer the First Edition's version of the song. I mean how can you not love vocals through a Leslie and backwards guitars?

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I like Mickey Newbury's work, but prefer the First Edition's version of the song. I mean how can you not love vocals through a Leslie and backwards guitars?
I think the First Edition version had several key changes as well as backwards guitar and Leslie vocals. I like Mickey’s version better but the First Edition’s was pretty awesome. I remember seeing them on the Smother’s Brothers and being blown away.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
song needs no introduction ( if you are old enough)
but this version from the song writer is amazing.
Not sure if you saw my post in the 'covers' thread. I posted it there even though it's not a cover, as this arrangement is so different from the way he originally did it. (on Harlequin Melodies)
Anyway, it's Mickey Newbury doing the same arrangement, but live acoustic, without the orchestral strings (which I wonder if maybe a T Bone Burnett addition?)

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/cool-covers.77447/page-34#post-2386572

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not sure if you saw my post in the 'covers' thread. I posted it there even though it's not a cover, as this arrangement is so different from the way he originally did it. (on Harlequin Melodies)
Anyway, it's Mickey Newbury doing the same arrangement, but live acoustic, without the orchestral strings (which I wonder if maybe a T Bone Burnett addition?)
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/cool-covers.77447/page-34#post-2386572
cool live version so thanks for posting....
I have decided that this version will be my next song I learn BUT I do have a problem...

First line ... I woke up this mornin the sundown was shining in
Second line .... I found my broken mind in a brown paper bag ????????

please fill in the ????? and I will be forever great-full.. Some charts say "within" but its not what I hear.

thanks in advance.
G.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
please fill in the ????? and I will be forever great-full.. Please do say its "within" cause its not what I hear.
You're right, you don't rhyme 'in' with 'within' ;)

This one sounds like 'and then'

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
And we might as well get the original up in here, maybe @mhammer can comment how it stands up to the First Edition. ;) (edit: turns out this is not the original recording, even Jerry Lee Lewis did it in '67 and he was the second guy)
(@GTmaker , this time it's 'but then')

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right, you don't rhyme 'in' with 'within' ;)
This one sounds like 'and then'
perfect..... I clearly hear "and then"...
much appreciated.
G.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
And, to leave no stone unturned, the first recorded version of the song (Teddy Hill and the Southern Soul):

1 - 13 of 13 Posts