The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a long term extremely casual NBA fan. However, have a bit of time on my hands this fall and been watching a lot of Raptors. Probably half their minutes so far good and bad, which is more than the past 5 years combined easily, maybe longer. They’re super impressive, fast, skilled & tough. Is it too early to start the bandwagon thread?

Also have read every online story I’ve seen on them, TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN. But missed most of the drama over the Kawai trade until yesterday, an article on the Raptors GM I cant spell yet does a good job hitting many of the factors involved. I’ll see if I can find it again brb. Nope went well deep on those 3 pages.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Yes, this version of the Raptors is special. They have the potential to go all the way to the finals. This is IMO the best team the Raps has ever had.

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watched vs Suns last nigh, about 3/4 of the game. Again, casual fan long term, but I don't recall seeing an NBA team play that swarming stop them in their tracks D that Toronto have when they ramp it up. Maybe smothering D in college games sometimes, but not pro.

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they haven't looked so special since Christmas. Lots of blown leads, losses to 'weaker' teams. I don't know if low minutes and resting some of their starters is part of a long game so they're fresher for the playoffs, but though I haven't watched them as much recently, they haven't looked dominant as they did early on.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the changes in the line up. The addition of Gasol. Also, the focus of this team is to play their best on the playoffs. A lot of things their doing is in preparation for the playoffs. Now whether what they're doing will work, is something we have to wait and see. One thing, this team has playoff veterans, some with championship experience (Kawai, Green).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hmmm game 7 lies ahead. Could this become Kahwi's theme song?

[h://video]

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Raps sh!t the bed last night. What a see-saw series this has been against the Sixers. Bottom line, the Sixers are solid team when they want to be but the Raps seem to always make it a habit for Game 7's. Oh, my heart. Let's GO RAPTORS!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Huge props to the Raps this morning for advancing to the Eastern final, albeit by the skin of their teeth! Remember those old Clint Eastwood movies...The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...A Fistful of Dollars...For a Few Dollars More. Even the titles echo the Raptors playoff run and the NBA lifestyle in general. In the trilogy storylines, a tall, quiet if not silent stranger rides into town and through his fast thinking and reflexes, saves the whole community from being wiped out by a contemptible band of nere do wells. Sounds familiar doesn't it! Kawhi his played Clint Eastwood to a tee.Can he continue to lead this group to the ultimate outcome? It's starting to feel like...why not. And like a good Eastwood pic the only thing left is to wonder if the hero stays and makes a new home or wanders down the road into the sunset, leaving the town sad but grateful. Stay tuned.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Great finish!

Funnily enough, "load management" has done nothing for my guitar playing...
Indeed, that precludes my playing being worth a load although at times it certainly can be a pile.

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL Holy, did you see the Kawhi hack on Giannis right at halftime? I’ve seen half the first half, heard most of the rest of it on radio. Raps so far look real good.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
LOL Holy, did you see the Kawhi hack on Giannis right at halftime? I’ve seen half the first half, heard most of the rest of it on radio. Raps so far look real good.
That was a big no call....would have been three I believe. Milwaukee will brush off the rust as the series progresses. Will the Raps have the gas to last?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The difference here is that the entire Bucks' personnel was built to accommodate and function around Giannis. I hate it. But it works so damned well even with scrubs like Middleton and Lopez. If the Raptors can just execute when they have to, this series will go to 7 games. Danny Green had a crappy game and Fred Vanvleet and Powell are sh!tting the bed whenever they're on the court.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
That game was a winnable game for the Raptors. Shots just didn't go in the 4th quarter. The surprise was Brook Lopez play. I am not sure he could continue playing that way. The Raps need to figure out his tendencies. I still think the Raps can beat them.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Raps need to hit shots to pull the Bucks' big men out of the lane. If the perimeter shots don't fall, then they can lay off the shooters and clog things up for Kawhi and Siakam's slashes to the hoop. Gotta hit the open shots! Great game from Lowry and Kawhi, but everyone else was off. Here's hoping Gasol and Green bounce back.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I need to vent...how ridiculous is it for this organization to give a $750K diamond studded jacket to their global ambassador? Wouldn't it be a better gesture to give that amount to charities, in his name, rather than a jacket he could afford to design and purchase himself? I have never played one of his recordings of my own volition, and I have another reason not to now. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh, he's also embarrassing during the games too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Huge game 5 tonight. Raps need to stick with the 2+1 man wall on top of the key to keep Giannis penetration to a low and make him a facilitator. However, I think the Bucks' perimeter guys' shots will drop tonight. That means the Raptors need to execute just as much. This game needs to be stolen or else it will go game 7 and the Raps won't have enough for that.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts