The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toronto, the most agressif and dangerous city in Canada... what the Montreal news are reporting this morning!

First off... all my condolences to friends and family of the recent victims.

Has Toronto changed that much in the last 18 years? I lived in Toronto for a good 15 year and moved back to Montreal 18 years ago and apart from the occasional insult to go back to my country (Québec ) or that I was a conquered slave and should speak White ( english) a few biatch slap... never thought it was dangerous... just had it fair share of ignorant Pr..s.

Is it that bad now in the GTA ?

Are the gang related problems increased that much ?

Is Toronto getting a bad rap for nothing ?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
It's a little bit less friendly than it used to be, in my impression, and a lot more busy. I left in '98 to live in Mexico, then spent some time back in Toronto, then back in Mexico and Venezuela, finally returning in '06. I can see it becoming more and more of a big city over the past ten years and there is a lot less consideration for other people in general. That said, people are still nice overall and helpful.

As for whether problems and violence are increasing, I think I've seen numbers showing violent crime is statistically down (but I'd have to do more searching than I want to in order to corroborate that, which is why I said "I think"), but the population is increasing, so there are just more crimes in general.

Also, we now have the 24 hour news cycle with many different channels dedicated to bringing us every little tidbit as is happens. So we definitely get more information about crime and violence in Toronto than ever before. Coverage has certainly increased that much.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Canada isn’t known as being a country filled with danger. On the contrary, it is regarded as being one of the safest countries in the world.

Toronto ranks 124th in the “most dangerous” cities in Canada despite the crime rate raise in the last year.

North Battleford, Saskatchewan is deemed the most dangerous city in Canada with the highest crime rate.

I am a Torontonian through and through. This will not deter me from going down there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seems to me Toronto is actually very lame and safe in that there are several million people in the GTA and these acts are far and few between compared to US cities of the same size (far and few between but still way too numerous of course). I actually like Toronto but I don't go there often. Gangs and situations like this will not deter me from going one little bit but the traffic sure will. I can't stand driving there anymore.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
I can't stand driving there anymore.
Cycling downtown TO is a nightmare let alone driving.

Occasionally I cycle from Pickering to TO a couple of times through the spring, summer and fall.

Walking too can some times be precarious at best. Making your way through Union station is not for the faint of heart especially on a Friday afternoon.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
It seems that its getting more violent all over. I just read that some other deranged person tried to stab a changing of the guard soldier on parliament hill this morning.
On a sadder note, the 10 year old girl shot yesterday has passed away. Sickening.

·
Registered
208 Posts
....... Making your way through Union station is not for the faint of heart especially on a Friday afternoon.
We drove from King West near that big old Theatre (forget the name...) to the Sony Centre on Front via University. That was on a Monday at 3pm. It’s a short distance but it took us over 50 minutes!

I also experienced the “kindness” of TO drivers as a timid woman in an SUV with New York plates right in front of us on University in the left lane was trying to move to the right lane. Think anyone would let her in? Fat chance! I actually felt embarrassed about it and we actually pretty much blocked the right lane for a second for this woman to finally get in. Sad!

·
Administrator
16,451 Posts
Yup, both of the residents there love a good fight :rolleyes:
Canada’s most dangerous place, North Battleford, is fighting for its future - Macleans.ca

While anxiety breeds impatience, police and city officials talk less about gangbusting crackdowns than lighter touches and social-support programs aimed at the root causes of its stubbornly high crime score: poverty, addiction, mental illness, plus lingering racial division in a city that is one-quarter Indigenous and surrounded by seven First Nation reserves. The small cluster of the city’s 14,000 people who cause the most problems include seven hard-to-house individuals estimated to commit more than a fifth of all offences in the downtown. “When you’re dealing with those root causes, it’s generational,” Bater says. “It can be frustrating for the citizens I represent. I know that. But we have to stay focused and remember that the people who are having encounters with the RCMP are doing so because of a lifestyle. That lifestyle took a lifetime for them to get into, and it will take a while to get out.”

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Canada’s most dangerous place, North Battleford, is fighting for its future - Macleans.ca

While anxiety breeds impatience, police and city officials talk less about gangbusting crackdowns than lighter touches and social-support programs aimed at the root causes of its stubbornly high crime score: poverty, addiction, mental illness, plus lingering racial division in a city that is one-quarter Indigenous and surrounded by seven First Nation reserves. The small cluster of the city’s 14,000 people who cause the most problems include seven hard-to-house individuals estimated to commit more than a fifth of all offences in the downtown. “When you’re dealing with those root causes, it’s generational,” Bater says. “It can be frustrating for the citizens I represent. I know that. But we have to stay focused and remember that the people who are having encounters with the RCMP are doing so because of a lifestyle. That lifestyle took a lifetime for them to get into, and it will take a while to get out.”
So for 7 bus and admission tickets to Canada's Wonderland they could reduce crime by 20%?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Grande Prairie here. I think we're 12th this year and it just seems more douchey than dangerous. Lotta white sunglasses and lifted truck type motherfuckers 'round these parts. And theft I guess. We're definitely bad for that. And the occasional triple homicide. And rampant fentanyl abuse.

... yeah, I guess I can see their reasoning.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
Toronto, the most agressif and dangerous city in Canada... what the Montreal news are reporting this morning!

First off... all my condolences to friends and family of the recent victims.

Has Toronto changed that much in the last 18 years? I lived in Toronto for a good 15 year and moved back to Montreal 18 years ago and apart from the occasional insult to go back to my country (Québec ) or that I was a conquered slave and should speak White ( english) a few biatch slap... never thought it was dangerous... just had it fair share of ignorant Pr..s.

Is it that bad now in the GTA ?

Are the gang related problems increased that much ?

Is Toronto getting a bad rap for nothing ?
it's just my opinion, but i think whoever wrote that article is alarmist. if he wants to know a dangerous city, go to baltimore's inner harbor, or kensington ave in philly, or anywhere in camden n.j. any of those places (all within a short drive from here) will make toronto seem nearly utopian. the entire time i lived/worked/played there, i never once felt i was in any real danger. but then again, i was smart enough to stay out of the really bad areas.

that's the biggest crock i have read in a while. someone would have to be a real dumb ass to believe that, or have some ulterior motive for allowing natives to cause that much trouble.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Yeah, you have to just go and cut people off and accept the honks and middle fingers as admiration of your boldness :D:D
Yup, the finger just means “you’re number one”.

And using your turn signal is just asking for trouble because 90 percent of the time they will just move up to block your lane change - better to just spring it on them like a surprise and that way there’s no drama ... lol

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Yup, the finger just means “you’re number one”.

And using your turn signal is just asking for trouble because 90 percent of the time they will just move up to block your lane change - better to just spring it on them like a surprise and that way there’s no drama ... lol
I like to signal right as I'm making the move. That way I can say "Hey, I signalled".

1 - 20 of 83 Posts