The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Will Leafs win the Cup before they are removed from it?

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If they don't win a Cup with this roster I'm not sure when they will. I voted yes, although I'd love to see the streak and pressure grow.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think they have a chance. They have a good team and experience behind the bench. Lesser teams have won.
I'm not sure what the lesser teams might be because honestly, this Leaf team has accomplished very little in the scheme of things. Lesser teams within Leaf franchise history, or lesser teams from other franchises? Either way, the lesser teams can all call themselves "Stanley Cup champions."

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’d like to see them win in colour.
Nevermind winning the Cup, the Leafs havn’t even won the conference since the advent of colour television. There were 6 teams in the league the last time they made the finals.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
As a cradle Leafs fan indoctrinated still, I will forgive the blue and white almost anything, the Ballard years and its hangover especially (can't blame players for the owner being an asshole) , but those days are but a faint memory. Some poor management and coaching over the years, sure, but...

The current lineup looks great on paper and almost as good on the ice, but the competition is stiff. The bookies are giving pretty good odds, but mid-season doesn't tell the tale. If they can keep the pace and health to the end of the season, I will be more convinced.

It's a rare week that I don't wear a Leafs jersey, and I used to piss off my last cover band by not dressing in the regulation black but showing up in a home game jersey.

Go Leafs Go!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
As a cradle Leafs fan indoctrinated still, I will forgive the blue and white almost anything, the Ballard years and its hangover especially (can't blame players for the owner being an asshole) , but those days are but a faint memory. Some poor management and coaching over the years, sure, but...

The current lineup looks great on paper and almost as good on the ice, but the competition is stiff. The bookies are giving pretty good odds, but mid-season doesn't tell the tale. If they can keep the pace and health to the end of the season, I will be more convinced.

It's a rare week that I don't wear a Leafs jersey, and I used to piss off my last cover band by not dressing in the regulation black but showing up in a home game jersey.

Go Leafs Go!
Have to respect and appreciate the passion. Feel the same about my team, our name is a little safer but doesn't appear as often.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I voted no because I live in Edmonton and wanted to Troll the Leafs and their fans. If you'd been to a game here when the Oilers were REALLY hurting under Eakins and a few other "coaches", you'd know what I mean. Leaf fans around here are always sitting in the weeds waiting to pounce when your team blows. ;)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
What! Are you saying the Leafs aren't already a lock this season? Hold the parade! :D
As much as I'd love to see them do so, I don't think they'll be the next Canadian team to bring home the cup. And with how often the cup resides at home, the prognosis is not good for keeping the name on there.
But hopefully Babcock has other ideas. Like that Hip tune goes, "I'm total pro, that's what I'm here for". ;)

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I'm not sure what the lesser teams might be because honestly, this Leaf team has accomplished very little in the scheme of things. Lesser teams within Leaf franchise history, or lesser teams from other franchises? Either way, the lesser teams can all call themselves "Stanley Cup champions."
To correctly state my point, I would say:

Teams that contain less skilled players, or a lesser number of skilled players. From any franchise.

The current Leafs roster is deep, with talented players on every line. Less deep rosters have won the cup, but ya know the whole is often more than the sum of its parts.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
To correctly state my point, I would say:

Teams that contain less skilled players, or a lesser number of skilled players. From any franchise.

The current Leafs roster is deep, with talented players on every line. Less deep rosters have won the cup, but ya know the whole is often more than the sum of its parts.
I'm not convinced that d corps the way it's currently constructed is going to get it done, and we all know what often happens to potent offences come playoff time. I remember when my Rangers broke their 50 odd year jinx in 1994, (has it been that long) , against the Canucks. Each round was tougher and more nerve wracking, especially Game 7 of the final,which was excruciating, and that was with a lineup loaded with experienced vets. Came close again in 2014 against the Kings. If playoff rounds are won, the pressure just ratchets up even higher. The city would be like a bottle of corked champagne that had been shaking on a paint machine since 1967. How that affects a young, skilled but relatively inexperienced roster remains to be seen. Imagine them losing a game 7 of the final. Wow.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I'm not convinced that d corps the way it's currently constructed is going to get it done, and we all know what often happens to potent offences come playoff time. I remember when my Rangers broke their 50 odd year jinx in 1994, (has it been that long) , against the Canucks. Each round was tougher and more nerve wracking, especially Game 7 of the final,which was excruciating, and that was with a lineup loaded with experienced vets. Came close again in 2014 against the Kings. If playoff rounds are won, the pressure just ratchets up even higher. The city would be like a bottle of corked champagne that had been shaking on a paint machine since 1967. How that affects a young, skilled but relatively inexperienced roster remains to be seen. Imagine them losing a game 7 of the final. Wow.
I'm not conviced either, but on paper they should certainly be contenders.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In bad taste, and bad Karma (imho) by McLean’s magazine, this pic won’t help (from latest edition).

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
In bad taste, and bad Karma (imho) by McLean’s magazine, this pic won’t help (from latest edition).

How many years has it been ... 51 or 52? Best advice...keep it on the back burner. Would have been a better April 1st edition addition.

·
Registered
850 Posts
They will win the Cup within the next 3 years for sure. When this team was first formed they blew it up and started to rebuild with the Upper Management. That group brought in the best coach in the world. Babcock and the management brought in a new culture to the team and if they didn't like it they were gone. Look at what they have done in the last three years. They took a bottom feeder team and turned it into a contender all within 3 years. Like they said they would. They did this from within using draft picks, signing free agents and without any ridiculous trades. Shanahan and company know what they are doing. They are going to have to lose one before they get one but they will be Stanley Cup Champions way before that ring is removed from the Cup.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
When it comes to hockey I can’t make predictions, but I’ve watched a few games this season and I’m encouraged by the current Leafs.

They have a lot of guys who can score.

I do hope they win, but It’s still early in the season.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
They will win the Cup within the next 3 years for sure. When this team was first formed they blew it up and started to rebuild with the Upper Management. That group brought in the best coach in the world. Babcock and the management brought in a new culture to the team and if they didn't like it they were gone. Look at what they have done in the last three years. They took a bottom feeder team and turned it into a contender all within 3 years. Like they said they would. They did this from within using draft picks, signing free agents and without any ridiculous trades. Shanahan and company know what they are doing. They are going to have to lose one before they get one but they will be Stanley Cup Champions way before that ring is removed from the Cup.
The top 6 Talent level is unquestionable. I am put off more by the constant media driven storylines about the franchise, so much so that I hope the whole thing fails. It rarely takes a day off. But the media succeeds whether the Leafs win or lose. Always a storyline. I get the answer...just don't watch or read, and most of the time I try to do just that. I think I can survive without Leafs Lunch or Leafs in 60 or Classic Leafs (although seeing the vintage "classic rock" era teams and players is fun).

Reactions: jb welder
1 - 20 of 36 Posts