The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tornado tears through Ottawa-Gatineau | CBC News

I'm amazed. We live 4-5 blocks from a neighbourhood where apparently there were trees coming down all over and there is currently a gas leak and power-outage. Two of my cousins live there. Haven't been able to reach them yet. One caller on CBC radio said he saw an overturned truck in the area. We had a sudden rain burst that was pretty intense, but to look at our yard, our street, and the school yard behind us, you wouldn't think there had been any wind today whatsoever. Bizarre how these things can be so localized.

The far west end of the city experienced a true tornado that levelled a few houses. I think forum member Mike Oxbig lives out that way. Hope he's okay, and his family and home unaffected.

L

·
0 Posts
Pretty windy out here too.
This branch came from our neighbour's tree 40 feet away.

20180921_172244.jpg

·
Administrator
402 Posts
EF-2 so far, the pics of destroyed apartments in Gatineau and leveled homes in Dunrobin are crazy. Not the kind of stuff that happens here...

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That yard 's pretty much what I was expecting to see out my kitchen window, but nothin'. Not even twigs. And unlike the nearby neighbourhood, we have power. No cable, but obviously we have internet. Like I say, the manner in which these things are localized is bewildering.

I will say that the sirens were constant for about 45 minutes. I don't know about you folks, but when you hear that many sirens for that long, you get a sickening feeling.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Got a kid in Ottawa with no power as of a few minutes ago.

Pictures on CBC news looked bad.

Hope everyone is okay.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I just texted my brother after seeing a friend post updates. Hope everyone is safe.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Spoke to my mom, who lives close to the airport, a few hours ago and she was without power but was fine...her and a neighbour lady were hanging out in the dark...lol! No damage, that she knows of, so that's good.

I texted my little brother and didn't hear from him for several hours...turns out he was at the Sens' game getting spoiled in box seats. No damage at his place, either.

I have yet to hear from my best buddy, though, and he lives Barrhaven, close to where there was some significant damage, so hope to get the "all clear" from him at some point.

I hope any forum members and their families are safe and sound.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
We're in Barrhaven. Lots of wind and heavy rain, but no damage in our neighborhood.

My childhood area not so much. The church I grew up going to had half its roof torn apart, trees blown over, and debris fly through the windows.

Greenbank, near the police station (same area):

...and that wasn't even where the tornado hit. That was just a microburst of wind/rain.

Hope everyone is ok!

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
We were driving home along Bank last night and there was a microburst at South Keys as well, a bunch of trees down, a couple of squished cars and one of the main hydro towers went down near Hetherington. No idea how you fix that.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just came back from a quick "sight-seeing tour" in the nearby affected neighbourhood. Both my cousins' homes seem to be unaffected, but for a bit of debris,
though two houses down the street from one of my cousins there are two houses with no roof anymore, and parts of the siding of those houses strewn across my cousin's property. Across the street from him, a neighbour went out of town and asked my cousin to keep an eye on the house. He'll get an eyeful when he returns. Both cousins' streets are just one busted or uprooted tree after another. One house has two cars parked beside each other, except that a tree that fell over also pushed one of the cars over at a 45-degree angle and it is leaning against the other car. So the tree has to be moved before the cars can be. Just nuts. And the crazy thing is that on the drive over, as I enter the neighbourhood, only 3 blocks from the devastation, you think "Hmmm, doesn't look as bad as they said". As I keep repeating, the degree to which these sorts of things are so localized is mind-blowing.

The pic that Jon Beals posted of the downed transmission line and tipped truck is a walkable distance from our home, and adjacent to an elementary school, a Shopper's Drug Mart, and large church. From what I could see (the street was blocked off, understandably), the truck was moved but the large metal structure is still down. In the middle of this Googlemaps satellite pic - Google Maps - you can see a green belt
going from left to right. The transmission line runs through there and the downed structure is where the power lines cross Greenbank Rd. Just to the right, in the shot, you can see Conover St. that intersects with that greenbelt. My cousin lives on that street. It would seem that such microbursts favour open spaces, because the most destruction was on either side of that greenbelt, on both Conover and its sidestreets.

And of course, they are all surprised that a few blocks north, on the other side of the tracks, we have power. If the nearby Home Depot has power, I gather they will be selling out of chainsaws today.

I'm off to Montreal. A safe day, one and all.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Just posting to make sure all of you Ottawa Gatineau people are OK.
Thanks Dave, we are okey here but it got crazy about 1 kilo away. Power lines cracked in two, cars flipped, trees up routed. Its like you see down south on the news but its actually here in our back yard. Lots of damage on the Ottawa side in Dunrobin area and power is still out for thousands. Hope all of our friends out in the valley are okey.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
We're in Barrhaven. Lots of wind and heavy rain, but no damage in our neighborhood.

My childhood area not so much. The church I grew up going to had half its roof torn apart, trees blown over, and debris fly through the windows.

Greenbank, near the police station (same area):

...and that wasn't even where the tornado hit. That was just a microburst of wind/rain.

Hope everyone is ok!
Wow Jonathan, thats crazy buddy. Glad you are all okey

·
Administrator
15,980 Posts
Thanks Dave, we are okey here but it got crazy about 1 kilo away. Power lines cracked in two, cars flipped, trees up routed. Its like you see down south on the news but its actually here in our back yard. Lots of damage on the Ottawa side in Dunrobin area and power is still out for thousands. Hope all of our friends out in the valley are okey.
Thanks for checking in, looks wild up there. Brings back memories of Goderich.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts