The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an interestein article about the new coffee table book just released.
was in the entertainment section on Google.
(sorry, don't know how to create the link, perhaps someone else can...thanks)

by the way: Yeah to Neil.....

cheers
RIFF

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Rrrrright

The Rheostatics and Sloan above Rush and Fly By Night not even on the list.

Pfffft.

Another nonsensical list.

At least they had Joni's Blue album in there.

Half of the albums mentioned I have never even heard or heard of the band who released them.
:eek:

·
Registered
526 Posts
the coffee table book sounds really lame. wow, he polled 500 people.

the chart list is ok, even though I can't stand a lot of the records on it...and 3 sloan records?!? come on.if I were doing one, Rush would be waayyyyyyyy down the list.

Thrush Hermit's "Clayton Park" should be on there. Same with DOA's "Something Better Change".

It'd be interesting for all of us to do our personal top 50.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The rheostatics were increible live the few times I saw them....never my thing on record but live they tore it up.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Was April Wine in there?

Stampeders?

Chiliwack?

Frank Marino?

Gordon Lightfoot?

I actually Like the Rheostatics and Sloan but not as much as any of the above.

I guess the word "best" implies to me that sales alone are not the most important factor.
:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
319 Posts
"Mersereau admits the poll results are very much a "snapshot" of today's Canadian tastes rather than a definitive statement on the history of Canuck rock, and that the list will undoubtedly raise debate among anyone passionate about music."

Keeping that in mind, then I can accept the surprising elements from the top 20 list. Interesting.

I always thought that Fully Completely was a solid album. I wonder if that includes French artists as well who have made a mark on the Canadian music scene (Harmonium, Beau Dommage, etc). Also wonder if Frank Marino made it on the list (MahoganyRush IV, What's Next, Juggernault, ..?)

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
I don't know about the new book, but as for the most recent Chart list, no.

Also no.

And...no.

Nil.

No albums, but 3 songs in the "Top 50 Songs" list.

In this case, "best" means "most often listed as a favourite among the persons polled". I don't think sales factored into it at all. It's a popularity contest. Whereas the popularity of Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, The Band, Leonard Cohen and Rush has stood up well over time, the popularity of April Wine, Chilliwack, the Stampeders and Frank Marino hasn't. Or at least it hasn't among the 1,400 industry people polled by Chart magazine. I'm not sure how you could possibly argue that. The survey refelcts the opinions of those surveyed. Full stop.

Ok. In that case, their opinions are meaningless to me.

Mine is all that matters.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Ouch!!!!!:smile:

A couple of summers ago CBC radio did an essential Canadian music thing. "Experts" were brought in to submit songs for consideration on a decasde by decade basis. The listening audience got to vote, and write in votes were allowed.

4 Strong Winds was number 1.

When they did the poll with out a Canadian angle, the #1 song was In My Life.

The thing I like about lists like this is that they usually make me aware of something that's new to me. A while back I was surfing throught the Billboard Magazine archives, and I was stunned to realize that I only recognized 4 or 5 #1 songs since 2000. Two of them were Nickleback.

No list that strictly a matter of opinion will ever be all encompassing, or even accurate. But as a jumping off point for discussion.....it can be usefull. It's kinda like those old K-Tel albums. Somebody had to decide what songs to put on 'em.
I think K-Tel's selections made more sense than most polls I've seen.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ouch!!!!!:smile:

A couple of summers ago CBC radio did an essential Canadian music thing. "Experts" were brought in to submit songs for consideration on a decasde by decade basis. The listening audience got to vote, and write in votes were allowed.

4 Strong Winds was number 1.
I remember that. the choices were horrid.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yeah Rheos!! You're right jroberts, they were never the same once the original drummer left but I still really like the albums after the first few (including their last album 2067). Which leads me to my second point . . .

No Ron Sexsmith? (the link is that the Rheos drummer went on to play for Sexsmith). Man, Sexsmith has had a number of solid albums. I like Rufus Wainwright too (who made the list) but his albums have 3-4 unbelievable songs and then a bunch of stuff that makes one cringe.

Surprised to see Grapes of Wrath on there, but that album really takes me back. My list would have included 13 Engines "Perpetual Motion Machine." I would also have had The New Meanies' "Three Seeds" which is also awesome; what happened to those guys?

Not surprised (but disappointed) to see Joni Mitchell at number one. Does anyone else find she ranges from boring to intolerable?

These lists are literally impossible to compose because music is incommensurable; there is simply no external or necessary criteria for making such judgements. Theses lists are more of a commentary on the sampling population rather than the music (I would guess here is population is composed of people in their later 20 to later 30s).

TG

·
Registered
319 Posts
No Ron Sexsmith? (the link is that the Rheos drummer went on to play for Sexsmith). Man, Sexsmith has had a number of solid albums. I like Rufus Wainwright too (who made the list) but his albums have 3-4 unbelievable songs and then a bunch of stuff that makes one cringe.
TG
You know TG, I never got what the buzz was about Ron Sexsmith. I remember reading about him that he was it, the upcoming star.. look out!! I listened to his music, I even went to see him live (Phoenix in Toronto a few years back) and I don't get it. Music has to have melodies and his are pretty lame. I respect your opinion but I'm not surprised at all that he's not on this list. Even more so, I'm happy that he's not on this list; it somewhat restores some of my faith in popular music, that someone is good because he/she is good and not because he/she appears and can be heard everywhere and that people think that because of the large exposure, that he/she must be good.

MM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts