The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ES-175 is missing.
That’s okay. My Parker is missing. Just the design, carbon fibre neck and versatility should make the top 10 but it didn’t.

And......no PRS? Wtf!!

But...... my SG made it. :)

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
That’s okay. My Parker is missing. Just the design, carbon fibre neck and versatility should make the top 10 but it didn’t.

And......no PRS? Wtf!!

But...... my SG made it. :)
Although you seem to really enjoy it, parker isn't exactly a household name when it comes to guitars. I havent watched the clip yet but I suspect the list is based on sales numbers and influence on the industry as a whole. Let's be honest, there aren't really that many original designs. Most offerings takes the influence from historic designs and just play with modern construction and appointments.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Although you seem to really enjoy it, parker isn't exactly a household name when it comes to guitars. I havent watched the clip yet but I suspect the list is based on sales numbers and influence on the industry as a whole. Let's be honest, there aren't really that many original designs. Most offerings takes the influence from historic designs and just play with modern construction and appointments.
IIRC it went

Explorer
Jem
Flying V
Ricky 3xxx
SG
Gretsch Chet Atkins/Nashville
ES335
Tele
Strat
Les Paul

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
I agree. This list didn't seem to hinge on production numbers, but rather iconic original designs. The only copy was the Jem (a superstrat, but still basically a strat copy).

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
That's a pretty good list.
I like the list. I might have substituted the Explorer for the Firebird, but apart from that its pretty damn good if you ask me.

Dano, Dimebag Dean and Jaguar were honorable mentions as well, which I agree with. I might have added a BC Rich to the honorable mentions list to further appease the metal crowd.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
IIRC it went

Explorer
Jem
Flying V
Ricky 3xxx
SG
Gretsch Chet Atkins/Nashville
ES335
Tele
Strat
Les Paul
I'm okay with all but the Jem being on there. I'm totally a strat guy but I think the tele should have been higher on the list, #2 at least.. maybe even #1. Its a pretty iconic and important design.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I'm okay with all but the Jem being on there. I'm totally a strat guy but I think the tele should have been higher on the list, #2 at least.. maybe even #1. Its a pretty iconic and important design.
I'm a big Tele guy, as you know, but I'm not sure the Tele trumps the Les Paul. Certainly not from a rock and roll perspective. The Les Paul+Marshall combo is just too iconic. Possibly moreso than Tele +Twin

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I'm a big Tele guy, as you know, but I'm not sure the Tele trumps the Les Paul. Certainly not from a rock and roll perspective. The Les Paul+Marshall combo is just too iconic. Possibly moreso than Tele +Twin
It's the top 10 guitar models of all time not the top ten of rock and roll through. Even Mr. Jimmy Page used a Tele in the early days. And I'll add in the fact I'm not a tele guy! Just looking at the facts.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I think it's up there, but the Strat is what you see in the dictionary beside "electric guitar" and the Les Paul played a hugely important role in the emergence of guitar rock. I think you could easily make an argument for any of the top three and make it a three-way tie.

And as for the Jem, yes it was based on the Strat, but they took the super-strat thing to a pretty high level and that distinctive "handle" is pretty iconic on its own.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I think it's up there, but the Strat is what you see in the dictionary beside "electric guitar" and the Les Paul played a hugely important role in the emergence of guitar rock. I think you could easily make an argument for any of the top three and make it a three-way tie.

And as for the Jem, yes it was based on the Strat, but they took the super-strat thing to a pretty high level and that distinctive "handle" is pretty iconic on its own.
The Jem is just a heavily modded Strat, which in turn was just a heavily modded Telecaster

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
The Jem is just a heavily modded Strat, which in turn was just a heavily modded Telecaster
I don't know if the Strat is a modded Tele. They took the feedback from players who used the Tele and came up with a new design.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I don't know if the Strat is a modded Tele. They took the feedback from players who used the Tele and came up with a new design.
Using the same neck, and same slab body as the starting point.

One might call it a refinement, but linguistically modified is an accurate statement IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Using the same neck, and same slab body as the starting point.

One might call it a refinement, but linguistically modified is an accurate statement IMO.
According to Fender lore, the early prototypes of the Strat were modified Teles, then they redrew it combining elements of the P-Bass with the Tele. (I knew I had read it somewhere). So perhaps a modded Tele, but more like a child of the Tele and the P-Bass.
upload_2018-8-22_17-26-31.png

The History of the Fender Stratocaster: The 1950s

1 - 20 of 28 Posts