The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I took my Hamer P90 Special into L&M in Oshawa. They did a nice job on my other guitar so I took it to John, one of the techs. We spent at least 20 minutes trying to come up with a solution to the problems. The tone pot. When I had J.S.Moore P90s put it at another place, that was well done, as was the shielding (these are P90s after all). But the tone pot had a .o22uf cap put on to replace the .0100uf cap. When I tried to roll off the tone pot, nothing happened from 10 to 5. Then it rolled off OK from 5 to 1 1/2 and then it just dropped right off from there to 0. After a lot of talk about what I liked, I suggested a a .047uf. He told me what that would do, so I said fine go for it rather than replacing the CTS 500k audio taper pot that was already in it.

Next was the set up. It seemed OK at first but I was getting a low level fret buzz at most anywhere on the neck after a few months. Suddenly he said, "Your nut is set too low." Also it is apparently a graphite nut - I didn't know that. He said he would shim it with drum skin - must be an old technique. Also I am changing from 11s to 10s - reason is, that I'm not good enough for 11s yet (don't ask me to explain). He also found a very slight wow, but said a simple truss rod adjustment could fix it.

So far, my experience at the Oshawa store has been good. It is a very nice store - I like it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The Oshawa store is pretty good. I bought my LP there. I've never delt with any of the techs(I do my own work) but the rest of the staff is pretty cool. I mostly go to the Markham one now because it's only 5 mins from me. Which is a little to close sometimes, they know me pretty good in there now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My Hamer Studio is a pita with neck shifts, I was constantly adjusting the truss rod due to moderate humidity changes, now I just leave it unless it bows over 1 mm at the 9th fret or has no relief at all.

Hamer really pushes their 3 piece neck construction with opposing grains, as "more stable":zzz: ...whatever.

Love the guitar to death tho :D

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have trouble changing a tube. It took me over a month to change a speaker. If I tried to adjust a truss rod, I could end up using the axe to shoot arrows. I prefer to pay others to do that stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should add that I was at the store at 3:00 in the afternoon. Hardly anyone around. After leaving my guitar with the tech, I noodled around on a half dozen guitars or so until the rain stopped. The SGs felt good as always, but the PRS single cut was what really got me. If felt so good to play, Drool and SCs and me usually don't get along well.

But the only way I ever afford one of those, would be to steal it. :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts