The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand the max daily salt should be around 1200 mg per day, maybe 1500 mg. I bought a case of organic Campbell's cream of mushroom soup at Costco. I add almond milk, and will consume the can of soup for a meal. I did the math on the sodium in the soup and it is 1800 mg without the almond milk. WTF 1800 mg. I also will eat a can of Bush maple beans for a meal. It has 1600 mg. I have been vegan for some time, so it is a little harder to find meals, and I don't cook from scratch much. I checked the organic bread I have been making sandwiches with. 190 mg per slice. So just the 2 slices of bread is 380 mg. It seems my daily intake is probably more like 4000 mg per day not 1200... Must cook from scratch and stop buying/eating any processed or canned foods.

Salt reduction tips/ideas welcome.

Sarcastic or rude remarks are also welcome. Just don't get my blood pressure up.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
... Must cook from scratch and stop buying/eating any processed or canned foods.
This.

A while ago I heard a guy on the radio who was saying that you "wouldn't have the nerve" to add as much salt to food that you make yourself as what gets added to prepared food.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Drink an extra glass or two of water each day and don't worry about salt. It sounds like you already have enough to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I used to buy Campbell's chunky soups to take for my lunch at work........until I read the label one day. Haven't bought one since.
My favorite was "split pea & ham" :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In today processed food, you have too much of all bad ingredients. Too much salt, way too much sugar (just checked the label there is sugar in EVERYTHING). Since we discovered the cause for my wife's allergies (process that took us more then 3 years), we simply do not eat food that comes packaged - so no food from boxes, bags nor cans. Much more expensive and a little bit more time consuming that way - but at least her allergies are in control now and my weight is stable.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sneaky way they label it... who only eats 1/2 a cup of baked beans? (540 mg of salt)

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
They really need to upgrade the "4 basic food groups" for north americans to reflect reality in our diets.
Should be Sugar, Salt, Fat, Caffeine.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Any good vegetarian recipes?
Theres a lot online. I can ask my bandmates for some if you'd like. Our singer likes to cook. Makes a mean carrot cake to boot.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Any good vegetarian recipes?
depends what you like.
so what do you like?
I like stuff like this:
Asian Veggie Wraps - Plant-Based Vegan Recipe

If I went vegetarian, id probably base it on Asian, or indian food, maybe some Mexican (gotta watch the salt with them though, but at least you can control it if you make it yourself). otherwise it can be really bland and unsatisfying. use lots of peppers, spices etc.
watch for hidden salt in things like cheese, soy sauce, smoked things etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts