The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With acoustic guitar humidifiers that go inside the guitar, is it possible to over humidify the guitar?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Depends on humidifier used. Sponge ones, yes. Crystal based one like the Oasis or Planet of Sound or Boveda, no. They are designed like cigar humidor humidifier that regulate to a certain percentage. If you use them as per instruction and not overfill them they will release or absorb humidity to maintain the specified percentage.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Depends on humidifier used. Sponge ones, yes. Crystal based one like the Oasis or Planet of Sound or Boveda, no. They are designed like cigar humidor humidifier that regulate to a certain percentage. If you use them as per instruction and not overfill them they will release or absorb humidity to maintain the specified percentage.
If the guitar get too dry they won't rehumidify, they're only useful to maintain humidity.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If the guitar get too dry they won't rehumidify, they're only useful to maintain humidity.
Of course if you don't replenish them with water they will dry out. The Boveda pack are self contained. They work for a few months and then you replace them. Although I have re-energised some for my humidor.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, that's good to know. I am in the hunt for a decent acoustic and it can get a bit dry here in the winter. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My oasis humidifier makes no mention of being able to dehumidefy or that it stops humidifying at a certain level.
Have you ever tested it to see what percentage it is at?

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
The definition of relative humidity? The sweat that rolls down the crack of your butt when you're caught messing with your step-sister.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I bought a weather station last fall that gives a reading for indoor and outdoor humidity. I was getting indoor readings of 20% this winter so I'll be looking at adding a whole home humidifier to my furnace this summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts