The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
FINALLY!!! a scientific analysis we can actually use to make an educated choice. i will admit, i was a huge doubter and always said tonewoods were a myth. now i can finally see it DOES make a difference! great post! why hasn't this been done ages ago? we could avoided all those heated arguments over the years.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
So now what are we going to talk about?
well, there's still :
string tension (anyone who's spent time on the guitar forums will know what i refer to)
are single coils able to play metal?
do locking tuners promote tuning stability
does gibby have quality control issues
relicing - is it for posers?
your favorite band/genre/artist/guitar sucks, and here's why
can drummers count past 4

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
well, there's still :
string tension (anyone who's spent time on the guitar forums will know what i refer to)
are single coils able to play metal?
do locking tuners promote tuning stability
does gibby have quality control issues
relicing - is it for posers?
your favorite band/genre/artist/guitar sucks, and here's why
can drummers count past 4
Don't forget:
Getting a guitar cheaper from a US retailer and picking it up at the border
My made in (insert Asian country) smokes all Gibsons.
XXXX is overpriced. Get XXXX instead.
I only buy used.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
i did hear a difference. however, that difference was so small, it would disappear with a bit of gain or some effects. so in the end, my opinion is, tonewood is only not a myth in the strictest sense. otherwise, the difference is so negligible as to be pointless. i am quite amused that the pressure treated wood sounded just as nice as the other 2.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
... i am quite amused that the pressure treated wood sounded just as nice as the other 2.
That's the thing - it makes a difference, but is one actually better than the other. It's like Monster cables - there's a difference, but are they better?

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
i did hear a difference. however, that difference was so small, it would disappear with a bit of gain or some effects. so in the end, my opinion is, tonewood is only not a myth in the strictest sense. otherwise, the difference is so negligible as to be pointless. i am quite amused that the pressure treated wood sounded just as nice as the other 2.
For an electric guitar there are a number of other things that make so much more of a difference, the wood is of little consequence when it comes to the sound of the guitar.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For an electric guitar there are a number of other things that make so much more of a difference, the wood is of little consequence when it comes to the sound of the guitar.
OK... My humble 2 cents...

I have built electrics from scratch. About 6 of them. I have assembled cheap chinese kits. Re-matched bodies and necks. Re- furbished old axes.
Some findings:
1) the 2 chinese tele kits play better than most guitars I have had. (partially because of the fat necks)Sound, action, sustain, tone, whatever as long as the pickups are somewhat good, (and I really mean somewhat)
2) the "tone wood" self- built ones have a sound and a sustain that is hard to beat. But it takes good set up and tweaking. Still- worthwhile
3) I have had some El Degas guitars for instance a junior that I re- fretted - probably Nato- not Mahogany - and also $1000 cheaper than Gibson counterparts that will sustain and bring joy to even a discerning player. - (Not me, I'm a hack, but friends who own serious gear and play well)

.....so I conclude these days that for me- it is mostly in the neck...And in the frets and set up. And in the ring of the wood. And in the quality of the pickups. Also in the hands of the player. Oh- and don't forget the fit and finish as well as the balance on the strap. Of course great picks help a great deal unless you can channel Knopfler with bare fingers....

Its a mystery to me and I will keep chasing that thing - guitar after guitar. Sometimes its perfect . Sometimes the math says it should be perfect but I cannot bond.

Markus

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've always been of the mind that it doesn't make that much difference on an electric guitar. Maybe if you're playing super clean it'll matter, but once you start using gain then it doesn't matter much. Once gain is in the mix then I feel like your pick ups and amp are the biggest factors. Now, if we're talking acoustic guitars, that's a whole other story. Woods make a huge difference on acoustic tone. However, even on acoustic guitars I don't think one is necessarily better than another, it's what sounds best to your own ears. Ex: some people hate an all mahogany acoustic guitar, I happen to love them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts