The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If something doesn't sound quite right, always remember to check your cables.

This week, it seemed as though my amp had a substantial reduction in gain? I was confused because I recently had my amp re-tubed and didn't notice it at the last couple of practices but when I brought the amp home(where I play at much lower volumes) I really noticed a difference. For the hell of it, I decided to try a new guitar cord, even though I heard no issues with my current guitar cord. Well low and behold, new cable= higher gain! I guess my old cable was losing something, but it served me well over the last year and a half.

I think I need to get into the habit of checking my cables more often! :rockon:

·
Registered
126 Posts
ha! well at least it wasnt anything too expensive im useing these chords that the tips are gold plated i think they are made by die-hard or something but they have lasted forever i have a 8 foot one to go to pedals and a 20 foot one to go to my guitar they where a little pricely but i think they were worth it best chords i have had yet

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
If a cord goes bad it's usually because of 2 possible causes. Either the ends of the plugs get a "skin" of oxidation (easily cured by shooting some contact cleaner on the plug, putting it into the jack and moving it around to clean it) or something mechanically went wrong in the cable.

Sometimes the connections at the plugs can break. This means a dead cord. Less common is a cord that sorta works but sucks signal. If you were to cut the insulation off a bit at a time (just theoretically - that would be a LONG job!) you may find a spot where something has crushed the cable and the shield is no longer spaced away from the centre conductor by good insulation but rather by damaged material with some tiny wire fibres. This acts like a resistor across the cable, zotting out signal.

Even the best cable can be damaged by bad luck. The spike from a kickdrum might just nick the cord or a road case with a heavy amp still inside can get dropped corner first on a cord, crushing it at that point. Given how so many folks think they're indestructable ('cuz of the advertising hype on the package!) it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

Take care of the poor things and they'll take care of you! I've got cables I made up in the early 70's that are still working fine.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
or maybe meerkats are becoming increasingly self concious of their hairstyles...

You must do something about this Meerkat obsession. I can give you the number of a good therapist if you want. He's done some work with workers at the Toronto Zoo.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You must do something about this Meerkat obsession. I can give you the number of a good therapist if you want. He's done some work with workers at the Toronto Zoo.
no need my friend...Meerkats will one day rule your city, your province, and later, THE WORLD!

that is...if tube amps stop being built...

·
Registered
62 Posts
ha! well at least it wasnt anything too expensive im useing these chords that the tips are gold plated i think they are made by die-hard or something but they have lasted forever i have a 8 foot one to go to pedals and a 20 foot one to go to my guitar they where a little pricely but i think they were worth it best chords i have had yet
I remember reading somewhere (of course, i can't remember where) about gold-plated tips being worse than standard nickel. the gold is so soft, and such a thin coating that it needs to be protected with a layer of lacquer to keep it from wearing off with the first few insertions/removals, which then adds more resistance to the assembly, negating the lower resistance of the gold coating.

This sound familiar to anyone else?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts