The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out one P90 style pickup on my P-290 for a humbucker, but the HB seems much weaker than the P90; there is one vol and one tone, both 250s. Should I change either/both to 500s?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just one of the Washburn P'ups off my J9. (which now has Duncan Phat Cats) The pots on theJ9 were 500s; problem is with one tone and one vol, something will be mismatched, but should it be the HB or the single coil? Or should I carry this abominable surgery further and install a second volume pot?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't think that the value of the pot really matters when your volume is turned up to 10. A 500 or 250 is going to read about 0 ohms. It might affect your tone but not volume. I would check to see if all wiring is intact and correct.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
why not raise the Humbucker and lower the P90 a bit to see if you can balance things out that way. At the very least, its reversable and it may work out.

By the way, I would still put a 500K tone pot in there.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think that the value of the pot really matters when your volume is turned up to 10. A 500 or 250 is going to read about 0 ohms. It might affect your tone but not volume. I would check to see if all wiring is intact and correct.
Tone is the issue. The HB sounds about right at full volume, but gets "thinner" as volume is turned down.

I'm also considering replacing the tone control witha 500k pot for the HB volume as I don't use the tone control much on this guitar anyway. Then maybe I could replace the switch with a blend control and use the mixed SC and HB signals as a "tone" control.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Tips

So here's what happened: I replaced the cranky tone pot with a 500Kohm audio taper and replaced the three position switch with a 250Kohm blend pot. Also raised the HB up and dropped the P90 a hair (didn't want to lose the raunch!). The blend lets me go from almost full HB with a taste of P90 to the other extreme and there are an almost infinite # of stops along the way and some of them, for reasons yet unknown are really neat. The different pick ups respond slightly differently to changes in the vol and tone depending on where the blend is set, and about half way beteween both and HB there is a spot where it almost sounds out of phase, then rolling thru brings up the classic HB sound; going the other way, there is a monster spot about two thirds of the way between both and P90 where the thing just roars, then settles down into a classic P90 grind. Hitting a chord or note and rolling the blend is really neat, almost like a variable chorus.

I'm thinking the treble bleed might be fun to try. This guitar is nuts now.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I put a blend control into my strat, and man I tell you, It has so much versatility now, and the tones I can get are amazing. Never going back to that old 5 way + the old controls

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I made a guitar a while back and I used just a single volume and a blend pot - no tone pot. The blend works kind of like a tone, if I wanted a fatter sound I would blend in the neck pickup. I think the tonal posibilities were far greater than with a simple RC circuit tone pot, but most people still want that tone pot.

So here's what happened: I replaced the cranky tone pot with a 500Kohm audio taper and replaced the three position switch with a 250Kohm blend pot. Also raised the HB up and dropped the P90 a hair (didn't want to lose the raunch!). The blend lets me go from almost full HB with a taste of P90 to the other extreme and there are an almost infinite # of stops along the way and some of them, for reasons yet unknown are really neat. The different pick ups respond slightly differently to changes in the vol and tone depending on where the blend is set, and about half way beteween both and HB there is a spot where it almost sounds out of phase, then rolling thru brings up the classic HB sound; going the other way, there is a monster spot about two thirds of the way between both and P90 where the thing just roars, then settles down into a classic P90 grind. Hitting a chord or note and rolling the blend is really neat, almost like a variable chorus.

I'm thinking the treble bleed might be fun to try. This guitar is nuts now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts