The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to set up a tone knob that will only affect the high end or high e string, but not the other strings? (Or a dual pot that has the regular tone plus the high end thing I am asking for...) I find my high e string sounds piercing but when I use the tone knob the low end gets dull and loses it's snap and clarity. It becomes muffled. I am thinking about how the Klon pedal has a 3 stage pot or something that isolates the frequencies.

I am not the best at technical explanations, but that's what I am wondering about. Can I tame the high fequency e string and not affect the low end? (I don't want an eq pedal, just the tone knob.)

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
What if you just lower the pickup (or depending on the type of pickup the pole) under the high e?

As far as tone knob I think the lesser the value the less dark it makes your tone, so maybe swap for a different one?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if you just lower the pickup (or depending on the type of pickup the pole) under the high e?

As far as tone knob I think the lesser the value the less dark it makes your tone, so maybe swap for a different one?
The pickup is already low.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
You can alter the frequency that the tone pot is rolling off by adjusting the cap value but you can't make it affect only one string.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,821 Posts
Can I tame the high fequency e string and not affect the low end? (I don't want an eq pedal, just the tone knob.)
Technically that's already what the tone knob does. It bleeds the high end to ground, highest frequencies first. The higher the value capacitor, the lower the frequency the roll off starts. It doesn't actually affect the low end at all.

The reason the lower notes appear to be affected is because the painful frequencies you describe coming from the higher strings/notes are the same frequencies that give your lower notes clarity. That's pretty much how it always goes.

If it were me, I'd consider trying the following options (in order of cost):
- Experiment with lower cap values on the tone knob
- Experiment with different pot valuesfor both volume and tone (or linear instead of audio on the tone knob for a more controllable sweep)
- Try warmer pickups and adjust amp/pedal tone as needed
- Different pedals (if that's where you get your main sound)
- Different speaker. Sometimes certain speakers just happen to spike the frequencies already emphasized by your pickups/pedals. A different speaker can sometimes resolve that issue.
- Different amp altogether.

Best of luck in your tone quest!

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
you probably have a .022 and an .047 cap in the guitar. Replace the .022 with a .01, and the .047 with the .022 you took from the bridge. This will make the guitar sound a bit brighter if you use the tone knob. it is still too dark you can halve those values again. I use .0068 on my p90 Les Paul jr, stock is usually .015.

Reactions: jbealsmusic

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I forgot to mention that when I roll the tone down on the jr. it is still a completely usable tone. I find with stock values the upper mids start to roll off as well as all the highs and by the time you get to 10 it usually sounds like mud. With a really low value cap the '''ice pick" highs are rolled off with the tone knob but you keep everything else.
I highly recommend you watch Lindy Fralin's YouTube video on Tone capacitors.

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
I'm with Budda on this one. It's a job for something more specific, like an EQ or some tailored lowpass filter. I guess this is why Empress finds that their Parametric EQ is one of their better-selling pedals. Not that you necessarily require one. Just that there seems to be no end to the sortsof quirky tone shaping/taming scenarios that exist out there.

BTW, you haven't said what pickupsor string gauge.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with Budda on this one. It's a job for something more specific, like an EQ or some tailored lowpass filter. I guess this is why Empress finds that their Parametric EQ is one of their better-selling pedals. Not that you necessarily require one. Just that there seems to be no end to the sortsof quirky tone shaping/taming scenarios that exist out there.

BTW, you haven't said what pickupsor string gauge.
It has a set of Lollar Imperial High Wind humbuckers and 9-42 Superslinky strings.

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Nice. Consider temporarily changing the tone cap in that guitar to a lower/smaller value, like .01uf, or .0068uf, and see if that works for you. It will move the rolloff point higher up. No promises that it will do exactly what you want, though. But unless you're doing a mod to a difficult to mod guitar (Strat, 335, etc.), it's a cheap and easy mod to experiment with.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I think the easiest & cheapest mod would be to switch out the e string fit a heavier one.

Before you go re-wiring your guitar try a 10 gauge string.

Next step would be to play around with the heights on the pickup screws. Maybe raise everything a half turn except the e string.

Nathan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts