The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a like 2001ish squier stratocaster. now wait...dont throw the anti squier sentiments at me yet. I have personally PLAYED a few MIM stratocasters, and an american, and to be honest with you, the neck on my guitar is just as good or even better than any of the MIM stratocasters I have played. Honestly. plus my neck is straight/excellent etc lol so dont worry about that. The bodywood is NOT plywood, I am very sure it is alder (I have scraped the paint a bit from the inside of the tremolo cavity, which I must say, I have blocked the tremolo)

ANYWAY...I have to admit that the stock electronics on the squier strat are garbage. The pots are the smaller ones and the pickups were ceramic magnet trash. Weak, microphonic, and must plain horrible.

Well last year I swapped in a set of GFS premium vintage pickups which set me back about 60$ Canadian. BIG difference. Now that I have had these pickups in for a while, I am very satisfied. However, I was wondering if changing the tone capacitator would make any difference in tone?

Well, I was even wondering if changing the whole set of electronics inside (wires, pots, caps, etc) would make a difference in tone.

I have a 1K potentiometer lying around from a fuzz face pedal project I was going to do, but never got around to doing it. I was wondering if I put this potentiometer in the place of the current volume, I was wondering if it would give me a better tone or maybe more range of tones. I dunno. Help me! If im going to replace all the electronics inside, I will probalby buy the strat wiring upgrade kit from guitarfetish.com. but I will see....anybody know where to get CHEAP and yet still good quality electronics stuff? Radioshack is a bit pricey for some things so I dont know about them.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I confess to liking the Stew-Mac prewired Strat innards. Even the pickups are good. I did switch the pickguard for another, but everything fit except the mounting screws which aren't any big deal to relocate. I might upgrade the pickups later but I rather like the ones they sent with the prewired pickguard. The wiring is clean and sounds fantastic.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll agree with Jeff, check out a few online sources and get some good CTS pots @ 250 K and a good cap, values as Jeff stated although I find the .047 work best on a strat for me. I have a few black beauties sitting around that I tend to use on my strats and tele. Bigger than your average poly cap but they fit.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there anywhere in Canada to get these "CTS pots" for a cheap price? I dont want to spend more than 10$ in total for everything.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
GuitaristZ said:
is there anywhere in Canada to get these "CTS pots" for a cheap price? I dont want to spend more than 10$ in total for everything.
Well I don't think you are going to be getting pots and caps with that budget. You are going to spend close to that on shipping alone. L&M have the Fender packaged ones which would the most convenient and expensive solution.

You could take your guitar to Jim Mozzell and pay him to install them, but he won't sell them to you.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I can buy a set of electronics, caps, pots, and all, even a switch! for only like 15$ us from guitarfetish.com...I could also just buy the pots for like 3$ each, they do seeem to be of decent quality.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
To replace 3 pots,cap and selector switch is going to cost more than 10. If your going to do it do it right.... Check guitar parts canada or a few of the ebay Canada stores and see who has the best deal. There is one on ebay, can't remember the name, he has good prices and fast delivery. I'll look up his link when I get home to my own computer.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
GuitaristZ said:
well, I can buy a set of electronics, caps, pots, and all, even a switch! for only like 15$ us from guitarfetish.com...I could also just buy the pots for like 3$ each, they do seeem to be of decent quality.
I don't see CTS pots on their site. Alphas are the next best IMO.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I believe GFS pots are alpha. If there accessories measure up to there pickups then they should be ok. There prices are good and the shipping is reasonable. So far I have purchased two sets of pups from GFS and had no complaints. No extra charges at the post office either...

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I recommended the Stew-Mac (www.stewmac.com) prewired pickguard assembly ($49.95) because by the time you replace one Squire part, there will be another that needs replacement or ungrading. It seems to me to be logical and easier to simply replace the whole innards. Your milage may vary.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you're going through the trouble of replacing pots, why replace cheap with cheap?
Guitar Parts Canada has CTS Audio taper I believe, for, at a guess, about $5 ea plus maybe $10 for shipping?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You should be able to get good pots and a cap at any reputable electronics supply company (NOT THE SOURCE!) for a very reasonable price. When I did my Squier Strat it cost me about $20 for three pots, cap and wire.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My pots and caps arent malfunctioning or anything, so is it even worth replacing them? Will it significantly make a difference in tonal characteristics? Would I be better off saving the money and spending it on a new guitar?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
IMO yes it's worth replacing them, they should make a difference.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k ill replace them then , thanks! Even if I decide to sell the guitar, I suppose it will add value. Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you haven't purchased everything yet, and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks to help save your tone, and if you are going to be playing out, you might want to consider going to a REAL electronics store and ask them for a Mylar cap. I've put these in all my guitars and they are worth the extra money. Regular disc capacitors have a tendency to swell with temperature/atmospheric changes, especially if you are playing outdoor summer gigs, and they also can choke off your highs when you dial back your volume. In both cases your tone is affected. The Mylar are very good to prevent this so mo matter where you are playing, your guitars tone is the same, and also eliminates the quick and harsh treble roll off with volume control. Just a suggestion. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aah ill have to take a look at those. this is a squier strat however, so I dont want to put a whole lot of money into it. Its not worth a lot haha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can't go wrong with them, and don't think of it as just a cheap squier man!!! Years back I walked into our local Fender store and played a mexi sq strat that blew everything they had american!! Never got it thought, went back 2 days later and it was gone, so I ended up settling for an american!! hahaha
But one of the best sounding guitars in my collection is my $500 Hamer Studio P90 Goldtop, probably the least expensive axe I own!! :rockon:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts