The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some posts about Tokais and am curious as to what everyones experiance has been with them. The only one I ever played was at Songbird in Ottawa about 4 years ago. It was a LoveRock and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with it (not sure how old it was). The new LRs look sweet but how are the pick ups and electronics? Do they all come with the Fat neck or do some have the slimmer profile? Also has anyone tried the Rosies. They look like a nice Tele copy and I,ve always had a bit of a thing for Teles.

Thanks Tarl

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
I would put them into the same category as the Epi LP's in terms of hardware. The Tokai may have a little better finish on some. There are now the MIJ and Korean made guitars out there, and the MIJ are more desirable. If you can find an original 70's Tokai, scoop that up, it will be better made then the Fenders and Gibson's of the same era.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a 2004 MIK Love rock...I'd place it somewhere between an epi and gibson studio.
I've changed the tuners on it, but everything else is stock. it's lighter than my gibson studio and the neck is a little wider. medium output pickups...it's never let me down. for the price they're great.
mine's actually for sale....not because I don't like it. heavy LPs don't mix well with a reoccurring back issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a custom Tokai Love Rock as I mentioned in a previous thread and IMO they are much better than an Epiphone. Its solid! Some where between 9 and 10 pounds. I find the neck is perfect for me, medium thickness and the electronics pretty decent. If you don't have a Tokai dealer in your area I'd recomend Kevin at jsds guitar shack, he seems to know alot about them.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I have a Korean Love Rock, and I absolutely love it. I found the stock pickups to be pretty bad in the one I have (which I think is a 2003). I've heard that the ones from 2004-on have much better quality control and better electronics.

I'd say they are definitely better than Epiphone's regular line, and around the same as an LP Studio. I'd put Epiphone Elitists above all of those though. I'd definitely go for a Tokai if you found a good one.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
hoser said:
I have a 2004 MIK Love rock...I'd place it somewhere between an epi and gibson studio.
I've changed the tuners on it, but everything else is stock. it's lighter than my gibson studio and the neck is a little wider. medium output pickups...it's never let me down. for the price they're great.
mine's actually for sale....not because I don't like it. heavy LPs don't mix well with a reoccurring back issue.
Lets see that guitar man? maybe I will buy it.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I was in Vancouver one summer and played a new Tokai copy of a Gibson 335 at a small shop. It was a copy of the early (late 50's) dot necks...ie. beefy full neck. It just killed...for playability and tone. It was nicely built, not heavy, and looked great in cherry red. Price was $850cdn.

If I didn't already have a '91 Dot Neck RI 335 I would have bought it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have 3 Tokais. My number one Tok is a MIJ SG in black with the lawsuit style headstock. Feather light and rocks like a light but mad raging bull. My #2 tokai is a '72 Tele Custom. Black with maple neck. I poped a gibson T Top in the neck and Duncan in the bridge. Very sweet. Number 3 is a Tokai "Lennon" Ricky. The last two guitar were both MIK. I swapped out the pickups in the SG and the Tele. I am happy with the instruments...Let me go play one.

Tybone

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a 1978 Les Paul Reborn LS-60 that weighs a ton. It had been heavily modified by a previous owner ... Duncan p`ups, 3 pull-up pots and one tuner had been changed. I know it ain`t worth anything to a collector but the thing sounded so good i bought it for next to nothing.
Also have an early 80s strat that had quite a few battle scars so again, got it cheap. Looks all original, soldering, p`ups, tuners etc. So glad I bought it and as for the scars...well, I always seem to put dings in my guitars no matter how hard I try not to so pre-dinged guitars make that process less painful.
I will only buy a new guitar now if it`s on sale for a great price otherwise it`s used for me. Living in Japan affords me a lot of great opportunities to get MIJs from the many makers that have become collectable these days... but even within the last few years prices have risen quite a bit and it seems more guys are looking too so I don`t buy as often as I did but still, my collection of MIJs makes me very happy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Does anyone know if these guitars are still being built in Japan or is it strictly Korea now?
Tokais are made in both Japan and Korea but we can only import the Korean made models into Canada. Tokai Japan doesn't make "copy" guitars for import or sale in North America so you can only buy a new Japanese made Tokai from an overseas dealer. The quality of our Korean made Tokais is very good.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I had a Tokai Les Paul about a year ago. I couldn't get over the build quality, sound quality etc. In the end I sold it because I just prefer my EBMM EVH guitar, but if I needed/wanted a second guitar I wouldn't hesitate to get a Tokai. I'm actually kinda jonesn' for a Gold Top w/P90's. Sweet baby sweet.

·
Administrator
16,174 Posts
gproud said:
I had a Tokai Les Paul about a year ago. I couldn't get over the build quality, sound quality etc. In the end I sold it because I just prefer my EBMM EVH guitar, but if I needed/wanted a second guitar I wouldn't hesitate to get a Tokai. I'm actually kinda jonesn' for a Gold Top w/P90's. Sweet baby sweet.
Let me wet your appetite :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts