The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a tip from friend I scooped up an old Garnet SessionMan combo. Works great just needs some new knobs. 140.00 out the door, awesome little tube combo. Will take a few pics tonight. :banana:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a couple pics..

[/IMG]

2 EL34's and 4 12AX7's

[/IMG]

It has lots of balls and is very quiet for a tube amp...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've got two sessionman combos and I love them! One of mine has the built in "stinger" circuit and the other has a footswitchable boost. You will enjoy this amp alot.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ripper, I'll check them out. As I said before I am impressed how quiet this amp runs. It also has the sweetest onboard tremolo I've heard in an amp. I checked it out and everything is working, this thing sure has a lot of bite.. Is there a way of dating them off of the serial number ? One plus is that it is on wheels, and that is a good thing ... very heavy. Going to give it a work out and see how it performs. Stinger circuit ? that sounds interesting.. :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Dating Garnet amps is tough, serial numbers don't always work with them. Yours was made between 75 and 82. 82 was the last year the session man was made and they didn't start using the silver capped knobs until 75. The silver piping around the grill showed up around 72/73. They are a great amp, with tons of sounds. Like all garnets though, they can benefit from a biasing, as Gar tended to bias the amps a little cool when he made them. Tweak the bias up on it and see what you think.

It looks like yours has the Marsland speakers in them too. Some of the session mans came with eminence speakers in them. One of mine has them in it.

You got a great score there. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
FARK, that is a fantastic find, congrats!! :banana::banana:

I bet if you put some decent speakers in there it will really come alive...anytime I patch my garnets thru celestions, they sure kick a lot of booty

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used it last night at a gig and from what I could hear the speakers in there are doing a pretty good job. Quite a difference in sound than my Ampeg... and I'm lovin' it.... :D

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Used it last night at a gig and from what I could hear the speakers in there are doing a pretty good job. Quite a difference in sound than my Ampeg... and I'm lovin' it.... :D
Yup nuthin wrong with those speakers.... :rockon2:

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's awesome! Aren't those amps sort of like Fender Twin Reverb clones?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep... a Canadian Fender.. :D It seems to break up a little nicer than a twin, could be due to the EL 34's.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Why do so many people hate the Marslands?
Marslands were kind of hit or miss. Some sound great, others sound like real dogs. I have owned and do own enough amps with them in it to back this up. If you like the sound of them, stay with them. If not, pack them away for the future and stick in something you like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.