The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hashtag all your social media posts with #bellletstalk and Bell donates five cents to mental health organizations. Retweets etc count, and its across all platforms.

One in four people will suffer mental health problems in Canada alone. Many suffer in silence due to stigma surrounding mental health.

Help to become the change we need.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, should they though? Via facebook:

"Instead of making medications affordable / free, offering more accessible counselling, equipping employers with sensitivity training for supporting employees who live with mental illness, funding safe injection sites and other initiatives for harm reduction, helping make the path to rehabilitation centres more accessible, funding trans crisis lines, giving more financial support to other crisis lines, destigmatizing psychiatric care, and giving nurses and doctors sensitivity training while making referrals to psychiatrists / therapists more accessible

You get some corporate bullshit hashtag that exploits our illnesses, our addictions, our self harm scars, our suicide attempts to donate a measly nickel to some vague as "mental health initiative" that isn't real.

You're not helping. Corporations do not care about mentally ill people. We are a liability.

And besides, tomorrow y'all are gonna go back to making triggered jokes, calling all people with addiction junkies and fuck ups, mocking homeless people, calling people you don't like psychotic and not giving a single shit about your mentally ill friends.

You wanna talk? Talk to US. Support US. Listen to US.

But y'all don't want to do that so please stop pretending to care about us.

Thanks."

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
One in four people will suffer mental health problems in Canada alone.
Wow, the bar must have been lowered considerably, I smell business

"Instead of making medications affordable / free, offering more accessible counselling, equipping employers with sensitivity training for supporting employees who live with mental illness, funding safe injection sites and other initiatives for harm reduction, helping make the path to rehabilitation centres more accessible, funding trans crisis lines, giving more financial support to other crisis lines, destigmatizing psychiatric care, and giving nurses and doctors sensitivity training while making referrals to psychiatrists / therapists more accessible

You get some corporate bullshit hashtag that exploits our illnesses, our addictions, our self harm scars, our suicide attempts to donate a measly nickel to some vague as "mental health initiative" that isn't real.

You're not helping. Corporations do not care about mentally ill people. We are a liability.

And besides, tomorrow y'all are gonna go back to making triggered jokes, calling all people with addiction junkies and fuck ups, mocking homeless people, calling people you don't like psychotic and not giving a single shit about your mentally ill friends.

Thanks."
That's true

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can honestly say the mental health system is this country is a complete joke.
Which is why it needs discussion and people need to know where they can send their donation money to enact real change.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Which is why it needs discussion and people need to know where they can send their donation money to enact real change.
Bell just does this for PR and the tax write off.

Thanks."
This is bang on. Bell can eat a dump truck of dicks for this opportunistic campaign that lets people hashtag for a day and move on feeling like they made a difference. I'll still be fighting depression and anxiety tomorrow and every day after that and Bell won't give a fuck for another year.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, I am more than a bit cynical about "Bell" day. I was on waiting lists for 8 years with abdolutely nothing from the mental health community. My brother in law has been on the Royal Ottawa's 8-10 month waiting list for 5 years and counting. The Royal Ottawa has recieved millions of extra dollars over the past 3 years with no change in front line services. They have a multi-million dollar machine that can take a picture of brains, but I can't get in to see a counsellor or psychiatrist. I and my brother in law fall outside of the "sexy" target age range. So even with not enough resources available for those in the sexy target age range, those of us outside the target age range fall even further down waiting lists. I call bullshit on Bell and the bogus PR exercise.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Yeah, I am more than a bit cynical about "Bell" day. I was on waiting lists for 8 years with abdolutely nothing from the mental health community. My brother in law has been on the Royal Ottawa's 8-10 month waiting list for 5 years and counting. The Royal Ottawa has recieved millions of extra dollars over the past 3 years with no change in front line services. They have a multi-million dollar machine that can take a picture of brains, but I can't get in to see a counsellor or psychiatrist. I and my brother in law fall outside of the "sexy" target age range. So even with not enough resources available for those in the sexy target age range, those of us outside the target age range fall even further down waiting lists. I call bullshit on Bell and the bogus PR exercise.
I call bullshit on it too.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear that.

They do have the breakdown for previous years, which I posted to fb.

Results and impact | Bell Let's Talk

It's clearly not all bad, but questioning things is a good idea.

It'd be great if people read this thread and researched how they can help in their community, and then acted on it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I find it hypocritical that they just fired a radio host in Ft St John for giving them a doctors note for two weeks leave to adapt to her new medication. They fired her an hour after recieving the note, and the day after hinting a promotion to morning host the next week.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find it hypocritical that they just fired a radio host in Ft St John for giving them a doctors note for two weeks leave to adapt to her new medication. They fired her an hour after recieving the note, and the day after hinting a promotion to morning host the next week.

You and me both.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Sad that there are still so many people with bad experiences when it come to getting help for mental illness. It touches every family to some degree but in my attempt to stay positive for 2017, I'll add that $6.5 million was raised by Bell for "Let's Talk" day. Hope it helps in some way.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If mental illness had a visible scar, I think it would scare the hell out of people just how much there is. Because it is a "hidden" disease, people can talk about it for one day and then go on abouttheir regular business and not give it a second thought. How many people and families can emote concern for mental illness but lord help a family member who might develop depression. You would get so many people say - not in my family!! Or they would sit down to figure out whose side of the family had the faulty genes. What an exercise!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sad that there are still so many people with bad experiences when it come to getting help for mental illness. It touches every family to some degree but in my attempt to stay positive for 2017, I'll add that $6.5 million was raised by Bell for "Let's Talk" day. Hope it helps in some way.
So they also got a 6.5 million dollar tax right off did they not?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts