The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please allow me to pick your collective minds.

Illogically, I've always had an inkling for a Flying V. I have played several, even had one on loan for a while, so I know the relative pros and cons. I like the "'50s futuristic" vibe, and a V would be a cool stage instrument for me.

But...if you had a Flying V, what mods would you subject it to, how would you hot rod it?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Depends on what V (like Rhoads', Kerry King's, a typical Gibson, etc.)... but I've always wanted a Gibson style one with the diamond plate finish like Zakk Wylde had in the movie Rock Star. I love the way that looks, lol.

Or a Gibson style V in like, antique white color... I guess it'd be described like a creme color or aged white (like Rhoads' LP if you've seen it... there's videos on YouTube of him rockin' "I Don't Know" with it) but with all gold hardware fitted with a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge and Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck.

Or Randy's polka dot V's with the Floyd... both of them (black with white dots and white with black dots... both are equally nice) with the same pickups as above.

See what you did, now you've got me droolin', hah.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Specifically, a Gibson traditional Flying V shape would suit me best. Korina or mahogany (there were/are both, plus other variants like walnut and maple) body and neck, but I'm pretty open to other details. A better Epiphone V would suffice if I were to hotrod it enough, but I do prefer the older headstock shape. I wonder if Albert King's was stock?

GitaristZ...Lonnie Mack used steel or aluminum for the "A" and attached a Bigsby to it.

Thanks, so far...

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Those tuners look great, it's given me an idea for my V's. I love playing the V's, I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea (to have pointy guitars or not has always been a debate).

Custom paint jobs, fancy pickguards, they are all options. I like the look of having the diamond plate front on a V, but after playing one that had been done up, man that thing was heavy and I didn't like the way it sounded, but it did look cool. Zebra pickups always look cool in them too. Let your own ideas and likes be your guide.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowtones...I like your tuner suggestion. Thanks.

Took a spin around the Warmouth website for ideas too.

Any ideas about what pickups match up nicely for a sort of blues/rock tone? I'm guessing whatever is in my Godin and Dot might not be the best choice for a Flying V. Coil taps would suit me.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Mooh said:
Lowtones...I like your tuner suggestion. Thanks.

Took a spin around the Warmouth website for ideas too.

Any ideas about what pickups match up nicely for a sort of blues/rock tone? I'm guessing whatever is in my Godin and Dot might not be the best choice for a Flying V. Coil taps would suit me.

Peace, Mooh.
For a blues/ rock tone I can recommend Wolfetone ,Greywolfes with Alnico 2 magnets. If you wanted a more metal like sound his Marshallhead pickups are awesome. www.wolfetone.com His name is Wolfe MacLeod give him a call tell him what you want and he will help you get the right product. Also there is a custom winder on this forum. J.S. Moore, you certainly need to check out what he can offer you. I've only heard good things about his pups and I really need to try some out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just traded-in my Epiphone Korina V.
It's fine "stock" for most rock. It has a massive neck that is great for slide blues too, due to the total fret access all the way to the top frets.
The lower frets feel like they're a mile away when standing to play!
Dam fine axe all around but I gotta Godin Freeway EMG instead! :rockon2:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Kenmac said:
I don't have any tips on modding one but if you want a flying V at a decent price, JSDs Guitar Shack posted something here you may want to check out: http://guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=5005
Thanks for mentioning that....:food-smiley-004:

The Dillion V is a great guitar, I too have aways wanted a nice V so when I got those in last week the first one I opened up was quickly added to my collection and has become my #1 guitar...:D

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool pickup suggestion (my great aunt was named Wolfe, and I have a Wolfe Bros. violin from 1888, so maybe it's fate). Checking my parts heap, all I've got are single coils and it's certain that humbuckers are the way to go in this instance.

Thanks, keep 'em coming...

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
93 Posts
good one

GuitaristZ said:
I would put the piece of wood between the V parts and make it a Flying A
LOL.......LOL......haaaaaaaa.:tongue:

·
Registered
644 Posts
jimmy peters said:
The First Thing I Would Do Is To Install A Lead Weight In The Rear Of The Bottem Of The "v".
That Might Help To Balance It.
No need to go that far, just move the front strap button to the back of the neck behind the 14th fret. LOL

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
JSD's Guitar Shack said:
Thanks for mentioning that....:food-smiley-004:

The Dillion V is a great guitar, I too have aways wanted a nice V so when I got those in last week the first one I opened up was quickly added to my collection and has become my #1 guitar...:D
No problem. I used to have a 1975 Gibson Flying V several years ago but I ended up selling it. They're good for playing while you're standing but forget about trying to play one sitting down. They're just not made for that and yes I've seen some with a curved piece on the guitars body for that. I actually like the picture of that Dillion one. I'll bet it has a nice tone to it.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very funny folks, but I refuse to move the strap button, LOL. Any likes or dislikes about wiring, colour/finish, machine heads, etc?

Peace, Mooh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts