The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ? is do you keep a tube amp in stand by mode all the time or turn it off. I do try to us it everyday .
The head unit is Traynor YCS100H Custom Special 100H

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I certainly would not leave a tube amp on standby for hours and hours..
If your going to use it but need a short pause, use the stand by.
If your leaving the amp for a day or so, turn the thing off.

thats what I do
G.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I remember reading that the standby switch has no purpose. So turn it off when not in use.
The thing is, you wait a minute for the tubes to heat up when you turn it on. That's it.

I had a Blackheart Handsome Devil, no standby switch on it. These guys knew what they were doing, so why no switch ?

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
I agree with most of the above. A tube rectified amp has it's own slow-start circuit built in, but solid state amps probably benefit a bit from using the Standby switch to serve that purpose. It's debatable.

I definitely use my Standby switch on my LSS between sets and when I shut it down. As a Class A amp, it gets just as hot at idle as it does running at gig levels, and the fan only works with the power on, so it allows me a few minutes of cooling before I pack it away. All of my other amps, I just shut down both switches at the same time. I tend to use the soft start technique whatever amp I'm using - habit as much as anything.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Leaving the amp for a couple of minutes I always use the standby if not then it's the power switch, off it goes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
As a Class A amp, it gets just as hot at idle as it does running at gig levels
... so it allows me a few minutes of cooling before I pack it away.
I don't get it. If it ALWAYS run the at same temperature with the fan going, what's the point of letting it run at the same temperature with the fan going ... for a while before shutting it down ?

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
I don't get it. If it ALWAYS run the at same temperature with the fan going, what's the point of letting it run at the same temperature with the fan going ... for a while before shutting it down ?
I sometimes have it tilted or close to a wall or something, sometimes things get pushed behind it. I just want to get a bit of airflow before I shut it down - usually the time it takes to pack my guitar in its case. So usually just make sure the back is clear, maybe tilt it upright and then deal with the guitar (it always seems to be the thing everyone trips over while starting to tear down).

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Standby to warm up, switch guitars, and to idle between sets. Otherwise it's full off when not in use and full on when playing.

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
I would think it would cool off better without the power on, with the head cleared of obstructions.
Possibly. I just try and make sure there's a bit of airflow for that last few minutes. It probably doesn't matter either way, but you know how habits are.

Reactions: BGood

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Get some of my 'fans' to blow on it. LOL

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
You have to unplug it and run around with it over your head. That'll clear the hot air :)
From your head or the amp?:D

Reactions: Guitar101

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I was checking the new marshall origin series 50 watt amps at the marshall's website. It seems that they don't have a standby switch. I was thinking it was a mistake but the following article claims there are benefits of not putting a standby switch on an amp.

Standby Switches

1 - 20 of 24 Posts