The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question.

So I'm not trying to make this a for sale thread. I won't mention brands etc...

I have been thoroughly bitten by the bass bug and the resulting GAS is pretty strong. Unfortunately I have a bunch of expenses and a tax bill so my play money is depleted. There's a bass I want, an Ibanez BTB 6 string single cut that is driving me crazy. The only way I could afford it is to sell my most recently aquired guitar, which is one of the nicest I've ever owned.

I'm barely playing guitar right now, but feel kind of stupid putting a guitar that good up for sale especially since I got it less than 6 months ago!

What would you do?

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
If you are not playing much right now, perhaps you've answered your own question...................

Reactions: Alex and Tim Plains

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
People sell new guitars within six months all the time, nothing wrong with that, and who cares how nice a guitar is if all it does is sit in its case? Would you actually play the bass?

·
Premium Member
18,722 Posts
Is that the one for sale in London?

Your new guitar is the nicest, but do you love it the most?

Other BTB's will be for sale, if you actually enjoy the guitar aside from it being a nice guitar then keep it.

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
Just another thought. If you are hankering to play a bass guitar, why not rent one for a month and see if you still like it after a month or if it's just a passing fancy?

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I have guitars I don't play for easily 6 months, maybe close to a year. But I like everything I own right now and it will eventually get played again.

Case in point, my SG. Got in to other things for quite a while - my 335 Feb 2016, then that MIJ Strat I did the quick-connect pup swaps on, then back to the Gretsch for the r-billy stuff, then I got a Bigsby for the Tele, and then the LP for a party I played at a couple months ago, started playing with those guys every weekend, and suddenly thought "hey, P90s would be fun at a practice", so I restrung the SG and have been playing it quite a bit for the last month (it's sitting in my living room right now, along with the Lowden and the LP). But that will pass and I will dig out something else and it might sit for another year. Don't know what I'll dig out yet, but when I get the itch, I'm glad I can scratch it without shopping first.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have guitars I don't play for easily 6 months, maybe close to a year. But I like everything I own right now and it will eventually get played again.

Case in point, my SG. Got in to other things for quite a while - my 335 Feb 2016, then that MIJ Strat I did the quick-connect pup swaps on, then back to the Gretsch for the r-billy stuff, then I got a Bigsby for the Tele, and then the LP for a party I played at a couple months ago, started playing with those guys every weekend, and suddenly thought "hey, P90s would be fun at a practice", so I restrung the SG and have been playing it quite a bit for the last month (it's sitting in my living room right now, along with the Lowden and the LP). But that will pass and I will dig out something else and it might sit for another year. Don't know what I'll dig out yet, but when I get the itch, I'm glad I can scratch it without shopping first.
So how many guitars do you need to take care of the itch.

G

·
I may get slapped around for typing this.
I have a few too many ..

For the past three weeks, I've been taking a different
guitar with me to jams to feel if it's a keeper or not.
What doesn't bond will be going to Elmira.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I may get slapped around for typing this.
I have a few too many ..

For the past three weeks, I've been taking a different
guitar with me to jams to feel if it's a keeper or not.
What doesn't bond will be going to Elmira.[/QUOTE

I know there is always the thought of having to many guitars, but i never hear about people having to many amps

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Have you played bass in a band? If not, I'd suggest sacrificing other gear and go with a cheaper bass. Even if you have to sell off everything else and can keep that one guitar.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
I'd say it depends on your level of committment. Me, I went almost all in, about 18 months ago. Sold a big pile of guitars and amps, and have been going through a steady stream of basses and amps and a few pedals looking for 'my sound', and I suppose based on my behaviour building up a collection LOL. But I held back a few pieces, you know, just in case.

I have 2 guitars left: a Squier CV Tele that's been modded to hell and back that I keep in the basement in case I want to noodle, and a Warmoth build that I have way too much sunk into. That one at least sees play time, the lead player in one of my bands uses it and it stays at the band space. Similar story on amps, there's a Dual Rec and a cab at band space, the other guitar player will probably end up buying them off me. A VibroChamp, a Marshall 2500 my kids loves, and my TriWatt, none of those are going anywhere even though they haven't been fired up in a long while.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your replys guys. FWIW I got an Ibanez ATK on boxing day and have barely put it down. I also gotca Traynor 2x10 cab and an Eden preamp to make my amp rig. I've been a little spendy this year. I also feel like I have all the guitars I need (including the mostvrecent one) to make the guitar sounds I want to. Getting rid of the guitar would be a mistake in the long run, I'm always going to play both instruments because I write on guitar and do home recording.

I saw that BTB was discontinued and on clearance so thought I had better act fast, but there is a new model with a gorgeous burl birch top, so there's no real hurry- I'm not going to be broke for too long.

Long story short, I'm keeping my guitar and saving my pennies.

G

·
Amp wise, I've down sized my heavy hitters over the years because of my knee.
Guitar wise, I think I'm set. For bass, I have a 80lb Fender BXR300 combo that I would like
to eventually replace with a Markbass, Gallien Krueger or some other lightweight rig.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
So how many guitars do you need to take care of the itch.
That number obviously varies for each and every one of us.

For me, somewhere just north of a dozen is working really well. I haven't even thought of buying anything since that last good acoustic (the one hole I had to fill). Now, when I look at guitars for sale, I think "yea, but it isn't any better than the xxx that I already have". Now, there are lots better guitars than I own but I don't need to upgrade or broaden anything right now. Please don't kick me off this board for such an obscene statement, but it is what it is.

I'm wondering what I'll be in to for that jam of @Kerry Brown 's in May. Whatever it is, I'll be enjoying it.

Amps, on the other hand. I have a few that aren't getting out, similar to but just aren't as good as those that do, like my NightTrain vs the TA15. And I don't see me taking a lesser amp out. I may have to start divesting that portfolio soon.

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
Thanks for all your replys guys.

Long story short, I'm keeping my guitar and saving my pennies.
NIckels............pennies are obsolete.:)

Reactions: mrmatt1972

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I go through phases. Right now I'm in an acoustic phase so I've been selling off some of my electrics. There are a few I'll never sell but beyond them it all depends on my mood at the time. I try to keep it somewhere between not enough and too many.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts