The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question. For my 1963 Guild. The bridge is pretty awful. I hate to drill into an original 54 year old guitar, but I get the feeling it would be so much better with a regular LP Junior type tailpiece.
Also, I was looking at the Mojoaxe tailpieces, they are nice, but expensive.
Any suggestions?
You can definitely "hear" the bridge. Plus, its made for a wrapped G string.
I will probably keep the guitar. Its not likely to be ever worth much more than a grand or so as its not a "Gibson". But the wood and neck and pickup are to me, just as cool.
Whaddya think?

anewguildbody.JPG
anewguild.JPG

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not really the bridge that needs modding. Its the way its mounted. It cheap tin, and the saddles slide into the base, which is attached to the body by two very small wood screws.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Its not really the bridge that needs modding. Its the way its mounted. It cheap tin, and the saddles slide into the base, which is attached to the body by two very small wood screws.
In that case, as a keeper, improve away! As long as the extra holes you drill can be hidden by the stock bridge it shouldn't hurt the resale value too much.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that if I ever put the stock bridge back on, the holes would be covered. But I can't imagine anyone not liking the upgrade.
Now....do I spend the cash for a Mojoaxe, or buy the 25$ eBay special.
Because the pick guard is straight across, I would use a lighting bolt model. I don't want one with saddles. I really like the plain look of the lightning bolt model.

https://www.amazon.ca/KAISH-Chrome-Electric-Guitar-Tailpiece/dp/B01J5HHULU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1492711777&sr=8-9&keywords=wrap+around+tailpiece

I'm not sure if the mojoaxe one will be worth 100$ extra

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, after looking at the parts, the holes would not be covered. Hmm....its a tricky one. Keep it original and sounding weird. Or "Improving" it.

P

·
0 Posts
Keep it the way it is, or get a bridge that doesn't need to do any new holes. It has gotten here so far pretty well unscathed, but once there are screw holes etc. it really loses it's value from a collector point of view.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I can somehow try to mod the plate the saddle part fits into, make it more secure... I did anchor the screws a bit better. If I do mod it, I will definitely be using the lightning bolt tailpiece. I love the way they look.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Floating style tune-o-matic + trapeze if you're worried about mods..... if you need reliability above all else, then Sarah Palin it (Drill baby, drill!)

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Decide if it's a real keeper or prepare to lose maybe $300 plus the cost of the bridge. I would pay $600-$700 for it with the mojoaxe bridge on it. Mind you, if it is a killer axe that hits all the marks, I would pay much more.

If you're in love with the neck and general feel, I'd mod it to my liking. I did it to my guitar worth 4 times as much, because it's a keeper. I still can't believe I sanded some of the neck/heel/body, but I did - and I'm happy about it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats why its a tough one....I don't love it, mainly due to the weird tone when I play it acoustically. I just think with the studs and tailpiece it might resonate a lot more. But, it is an all original 1963 so I doubt I will have the guts to actually do it.

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Thats why its a tough one....I don't love it, mainly due to the weird tone when I play it acoustically. I just think with the studs and tailpiece it might resonate a lot more. But, it is an all original 1963 so I doubt I will have the guts to actually do it.
If it were mine, I probably would. If everyone picks it up as it is now and thinks the same thing, that's just sad. If they pick it up and love what you did to it, you'll get that bad boy back into the swing of things. I'd be proud of that.

·
Super Moderator
15,750 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts