The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
Pete Thorn discusses it in the Day 2 summary Youtube from Premier Guitar. He notes that his vision isn't so sharp, and appreciates the big letters. He also liked the fact that it saved the pedalboard space normally required for a tuner. The tuner function is actuated in the heel-down position.

On a 10-pt geezer-filter scale, ranging from 1="cool but epehemeral" to 10="I'm glad someone finally tackled this", I'd give it a 3.5 to 4. It's not throwaway, but not absolutely essential; especially when there are volume pedals half the size of the EB unit. That said, plenty of folks will only let you take their EB volume pedal if you tear it from their cold dead hands. They like the feel of the string and pulley mechanism, and it's hard to put that in a smaller package.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
If you already have both, then no need for it.
If you already have one & are looking for the other, it probably won't entice you, at least not too much.
If you have neither & want both-it could interest you.

Same goes for somebody replacing one & not having the other-or replacing both.

Depending on the cost I wouldn't mind its I would like to duplicate 4 or 5 pedals & make a separate bass pedalboard

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
I dig the 'glass of beer' level display.

Kemper allows you to turn on the tuner when you heel the volume pedal, the display appearing on the board and main display of the amp. It works well - and allows you to repurpose the tuner button on the board for something else, like latching delay tails or similar.

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
It seems to me that the many different variations in tuner pedals/devices, depend on the highly varied viewing needs of the user. Some folks needs to be able to see it in the dark. Some need to see it from far away. Some need to see it constantly and others only once in a while. I imagine there are also those who utilize different intonation, where "bang on" represents a few cents this way or that. It's certainly not quite as diverse a spectrum of tastes as there is with fuzz, but probably as broad as there might be for compressors.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Some need to see it constantly
When you get to the noise jam at the end of the set and you have your Fuzz Factory set to self-oscilation, its so much easier to tune it to the desired pitch, and even fade between notes /play a basic riff with it if you have a good tuner.

When they put the Boss TU-1000 tuner in the volume pedal, then they will have something.

Holy moley; that really is the Terminator of tuning pedals ain't it. Like the thing be a huge tank.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
If you already have both, then no need for it.
If you already have one & are looking for the other, it probably won't entice you, at least not too much.
Thing is, Ernie Ball volume pedals are ubiquitous. If everyone already has one, how is Ernie Ball going to sell more? The answer is to give people who already own one a reason to buy a new one. This is that reason. The fact that it can display the exact level of the volume is pretty cool too.

They shoulda had an option for tuner always on (no mute; you can always mute by heeling down)
I think it does have this. There are a few modes it can be used in: just tuner, just volume, or tuner & volume being the default.

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
Now that I've seen a bit more of it, and realized that it provides a visual display for both the tuner AND volume functions, I'll rate it a little higher. When Truetone/Visual Sound started, Bob Weil's first product (and the basis for the company name) was a volume pedal that provided a visual indication of the level. I have one of the models in the middle of this picture. It used a dual-ganged volume pot, with one pot controlling the volume, and the other adjusting the signal level fed to an LM3914 bar-graph chip, which would light up a string of 10 LEDs according to level. Not something that everybody needs or uses, but some contexts demand that a given level be reliably returned to, and this sort of feedback lets you do that. Truetone still makes a Visual Volume (shown at the far right), but the Ernie Ball version doesn't require you to count the number of LEDs that are lit up or down from the green one, so it's a little more convenient.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,109 Posts
This isn’t a new idea, guys have been modding volume pedals by shoving a TU2 into them for years. I also think JHS had one in development that may or may not have been abandoned. It was talked about at 2016 NAMM though.

287513A5-5684-4AFE-90EE-BF63E5256661.png

Reactions: mhammer

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I also think JHS had one in development that may or may not have been abandoned. It was talked about at 2016 NAMM though.

It's hard to know if it's a real thing or now a joke, but they still say it's in development (according to a recent vlog).

The thing I liked about this one was it was designed to attach to a Temple Audio board without needing a pedal plate (i.e. the "nubs" and thumbscrew were incorporated into the pedal itself). It would be pretty cool if more pedal companies did this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts