The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a guitar course in high shool, didnt learn shit just songs with single note. Now I'm just learning on my own for songs that are popular with tabs. The problem is that I haven't develop the skill of changing notes or like playing notes, not chords, like for fingerstyl songs, and I can't find any video on it at all pls help

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I am not sure I understand your quest.
As I went from playing chords (arpeggios) to fingerstyle, I had to exercise my quite clusmy fingers on the neck.
I began with short classical pieces to do so.
The idea is to play notes in the first fret with the index finger, the second fret with second finger and so on : that is first position.
There is a video at Homespun by the late Pete Huttlinger about fingerstyle exercises.
P.S. I cannot give any book title since a relative is now using them, look for easy or beginner's classical pieces.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think I'm not a full beginner and like almost intermediate since I know all the basic chords, some other chords that has 7th in it, and I have a decent f chord atm
Well if you're an intermediate player than you should be able to explain more clearly what it is you're trying to work on. A quick Youtube search for fingerstyle guitar tutorial had over 3 million results. You already read tabs so a quick google search should send you on your way. If for example you're having trouble moving between chord shapes while keeping the melody going unfortunately that's something that only practice will fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
'Dust in the Wind' by Kansas was first just a fingerstyle exercise by the guitarist. His wife said it 'sounds nice write lyrics' for it. Here is a decent 'how to' video. I'm just learning guitar and enjoyed the video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I don' have the knowledge of music yet since I don't care for little details and just playing atm, Imma try to practice fingerstyle exercises and all of that shit, but is there like a easy song that I can learn f ngerstyle that isn't really that old or like something in the 2000 just cause I can' impress people if they don't know he song lol

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
No offense here @Kyleduong , but as a teacher I'd like to suggest you're more of a beginner. Maybe try searching for Beginner fingerstyle guitar or maybe try to tackle some basic Classical guitar stuff, much like what @mawmow did. What type of songs are you looking to play that are newer? Any particular finger style artists that you like? Or are you looking to apply finger style to a flat picked tune? Are you looking to use both chords and single notes together? Let the forum know more specically what yu're looking to accomplish...besides impressing your friends.

·
Registered
165 Posts
To get better at fingerstyle I like to play scales (especially as a warm up) and chords as arrpegios (one string at a time) with thumb and alternating fingers (index I, middle m and ring a). There are some Metallica songs that begin with finger style acoustic as well as some Black Sabbath like Iron Man or Diary of a Madman. I am sure there are many others that I can't think of right now. Don't give up, it really is a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I find that it's easier to impress non-musical friends with songs that they don't know - if they are familiar with the song, they will compare your playing to the recording. The suggestion of starting with some easy classical pieces is a good one - people are always impressed by classical music on guitar - even if they say that classical music is not to their taste, they will assume that classical music is hard.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
"Practice makes better". In fact there are three "P" to mastering (the guitar) : Practise, be Patient and Persevere.

Think about it : You have to at least learn chords and form them as you read their names, build muscle strenght of your forearms and get more agility and develop new sense of touch of your fingertips, you also have to train your ears and your brain has to make sense of all of that (brain plasticity) before you can impress your friends. Sorry, it won't happen tomorrow.
And if you want to play fingerstyle, you will have to learn notes on the fretboard, read the tabs and/ or staffs and synchronize more acurately fingers of both hands. You will unfortunately not be there next week.

We all Practised, been Patient and Persevered... and still do everyday while learning new pieces. ;-)

I began fingerstyle as a hobby by 55 years old and I am struggling to wrap up theory and practice ever since !
I bought a bunch of books in the Fingerpicking series and still discover pieces I was not aware of and find myself quite rewarded when I come to honestly play one of them. There are also series for beginners.
You want new pieces... why not great old classicals getting through the ages ?
I guess we all began with something like The House of the Rising Sun : easy arpeggios on basic chords to get hands synchronized !

Remember : Practise, be Patient and Persevere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The type of music I want to play is more of the modern day stuff tbh, I don' mind classical and stuff but it seems that people enjoy songs more of this generation, and I seen YouTube videos of people playing these songs, also I forgot to add friends and girls lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts