The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need in transport company.
I wanted to ask about the companies which are engaged in transportations.
What services of transport companies best to use in Canada for household moving out of the city? I found some list here, can you comment?

Or maybe you can advise something else?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
we had a company out to do an estimate...the guy gave us a reasonable quote which we decided to go with...
the one thing he didn't tell us was that, the guys they sent move at the pace of yukon molasses in the middle of winter...so the quote ended up meaningless since they took their time and which added a couple hundred to the bill...

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I don't know where you are but for gta area we have used Francis Movers twice. Great rates and good guys. One move from Toronto to Whitby another cobourg to Whitby.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
we had a company out to do an estimate...the guy gave us a reasonable quote which we decided to go with...
the one thing he didn't tell us was that, the guys they sent move at the pace of yukon molasses in the middle of winter...so the quote ended up meaningless since they took their time and which added a couple hundred to the bill...
Unless they had a very good reason - one they convinced me was valid, like a hidden room or something - I would have paid them according to the estimate they provided and no more. The estimate is based on them looking at the move and using their experience. If they suck at giving estimates, it shouldn't cost you more money. That's crazy. That's like you telling them afterwards: "Well, it wasn't raining when you move me, so I'm not $200 off the bill because it was so easy." Yea, that would go over well, NOT.

I've had a few paid moves and I've always paid exactly what the estimate was.

·
Registered
569 Posts
In my experience, don't use any that are affiliated with those temporary storage places.

I had a very good experience with AMJ Campbell. The were professional, fast, careful, and stood by their estimated price. Would use them again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Whatever you do keep in touch with them. I was moving and used a local company. They did a great job. A couple of years later I was moving again. I phoned them two months ahead of time to make sure they were available. No problem he said. I phoned them the week before the move to make sure it was still on and their number was out of service. Luckily I hadn't given them a deposit. It is very hard to find a rental truck let alone movers a week before the end of the month. I finally found a rental 5 ton truck a two hour drive away. Moral is book way in advance and then keep in contact.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Unless they had a very good reason - one they convinced me was valid, like a hidden room or something - I would have paid them according to the estimate they provided and no more. The estimate is based on them looking at the move and using their experience. If they suck at giving estimates, it shouldn't cost you more money. That's crazy. That's like you telling them afterwards: "Well, it wasn't raining when you move me, so I'm not $200 off the bill because it was so easy." Yea, that would go over well, NOT.

I've had a few paid moves and I've always paid exactly what the estimate was.
while I agree with you...we did follow up with the person who did the quote who apologized for their workers being slow (but no refund) as well a quote is an estimate in any case...I'm sure people here have taken a guitar to get fixed and it's been more than the original quote...
secondly...I didn't facilitate the deal...the other half did...so I wasn't going to overstep my bounds....
lastly...after moving the last couple times by ourselves...the extra bucks was worth WATCHING the guys trying to get things up/down the stairs

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
while I agree with you...we did follow up with the person who did the quote who apologized for their workers being slow (but no refund) as well a quote is an estimate in any case...I'm sure people here have taken a guitar to get fixed and it's been more than the original quote...
secondly...I didn't facilitate the deal...the other half did...so I wasn't going to overstep my bounds....
lastly...after moving the last couple times by ourselves...the extra bucks was worth WATCHING the guys trying to get things up/down the stairs
If I have to move it's "here's the keys to the old place and here's the keys to the new place. Don't break anything." When we moved to here someone else had to get big bulky things up and down stairways....which included moving 3 bikes, tools and parts. They had to go back and get a bigger trailer for those things. We had a quoted price and not an estimate....two different things. A quote is, 'This is what it will cost'. An estimate is, 'this is what it might cost'. One of the things stipulated on the quote we had was when they would get to the old place and when things would be put away at the new place, that they would have everything they needed and that nothing got damaged.
One thing I've noticed tho is I don't see any mention as to where you are and to where you're going.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Be careful of companies that will sub contract your move to someone else.

My brother went through hell when he moved out west.
He had spoken to several moving companies and got quotes from some.
One of the companies of which he didn't bother asking for a quote just didn't sound on the up and up.

He hired a different company and they in turn contracted it to the company that he didn't want to work with.
This was not known until they showed the morning of moving day...with a truck that was too small..undermanned..and one of the guys decided to have a nap on the front lawn mid-morning.
He had to vacate that day. So, there was nothing he could do.

Everything got loaded into a truck, and a second truck that was ordered up, and driven to Toronto where it was off loaded into secure storage for a couple of weeks. It was then loaded up and trucked across country where it was off-loaded again in Vancouver. It was then loaded up for transport to Victoria. It was off-loaded again and then loaded onto smaller trucks for the final move in date.

The stuff that got broken and lost hasn't been sorted out completely and this was about 5 years ago.

When my other brother moved out there, he hired a place that put everything into a container and you could put your own lock on it. It went from his house here in Ontario to his house in Victoria with no off-loads in between.
If that.s the kind of service you're looking for, I'll ask him for the company name.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
We had a quoted price and not an estimate....two different things. A quote is, 'This is what it will cost'. An estimate is, 'this is what it might cost'.

kwōt/
  1. noun
  1. 1.
    a quotation from a text or speech.
    "a quote from Wordsworth"
  2. 2.
    a quotation giving the estimated cost for a particular job or service.
    "quotes from different insurance companies"
    synonyms: estimate, price, bid, costing, charge, figure, tender
    "a quote from the contractor"
es·ti·mate
verb
ˈestəˌmāt/
  1. 1.
    roughly calculate or judge the value, number, quantity, or extent of.
    "the aim is to estimate the effects of macroeconomic policy on the economy"
    synonyms: calculate roughly, approximate, guess; More

seems about the same...fwiw

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
The difference between a quotation and an estimate
It's impossible for some businesses to give standard prices for goods and services. This may be because the skills, time and materials required for each job vary depending on different customers' needs.

This situation is more common in some trades than others - decorators or builders, for example, rarely do exactly the same job twice. When it's not possible to work from a standard price list, you have to give a quotation or an estimate instead.

A quotation is a fixed price offer that can't be changed once accepted by the customer. This holds true even if you have to carry out much more work than you expected.

If you think this is likely to happen, it makes more sense to give an estimate. You can also specify in the quotation precisely what it covers, and that variations outside of this will be subject to additional charges.

An estimate is an educated guess at what a job may cost - but it isn't binding. To take account of possible unforeseen developments, you should provide several estimates based on various circumstances, including the worst-case scenario. This will prevent your customer from being surprised by the costs.

To work out a quote or estimate you need to know your fixed and variable costs. These include the cost-per-hour of manual labour and the cost of the materials you'll require. Your quote or estimate is then calculated according to what you think the job will involve.

You should provide all your quotes and estimates in writing and include a detailed breakdown. This will help to avoid any disputes about what work is included in your overall price.

You may also wish to set an expiry date. Your quote or estimate will no longer be valid after this time.
Seems different, fwiw

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
We rented a truck and did it ourselves. Never again. 5 times to be exact in a short time frame. Same slave labor, just a new location. lol

Very smart move.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.