The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple weeks ago at a gig we had our PA board die on us. It was a 15 year old Yorkville board. Luckily at the club (very lucky) they had a spare board that worked in a pinch.
So this past week I show up to the gig and the band leader has a new unpowered board and all powered speakers. The system sounded phenomenal. What stood out to me though was the size of the board. It is a 16 channel digital board and can't be much bigger than an IPad. Amazing how small things are getting. And the EV powered speakers we are using aren't any heavier than passive speakers that I've hauled. I know in the past some of the powered speakers I've had to lug were quite heavy.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Those digital boards can be remote controlled by an ipad... so.... you sure it wasn't an ipad ;P

I don't like that everything has gone digital. I get why, but I don't have to like it.

·
Premium Member
16,850 Posts
So a couple weeks ago at a gig we had our PA board die on us. It was a 15 year old Yorkville board. Luckily at the club (very lucky) they had a spare board that worked in a pinch.
So this past week I show up to the gig and the band leader has a new unpowered board and all powered speakers. The system sounded phenomenal. What stood out to me though was the size of the board. It is a 16 channel digital board and can't be much bigger than an IPad. Amazing how small things are getting. And the EV powered speakers we are using aren't any heavier than passive speakers that I've hauled. I know in the past some of the powered speakers I've had to lug were quite heavy.
Could be a QSC, Line 6 or several others.

I use a slightly bigger QSC, and control it remotely with an iPad or iPhone and yes, all powered cabs.

It does take some adjustment giving up the tactile nature of an analog board, but it’s an adjustment I can live with in light of the absolutely mind blowing depth of editing and control you gain.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those digital boards can be remote controlled by an ipad... so.... you sure it wasn't an ipad ;P

I don't like that everything has gone digital. I get why, but I don't have to like it.
No it wasn't an ipad. We're not that technically advanced. Its probably bigger than an IPad. Certainly thicker. It just seemed shockingly small for a 16 channel board.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
The kid (high school senior) that did the sound at the last community event I played used an iPad to control everything. He did an awesome job, near as I could tell. The sound was spot on. Initially I was annoyed that the sound guy wasn't at the board but when I heard my monitor mix come up I knew something new was happening. The board isn't often located in the best place in the house, but it doesn't really matter as long as the ears and hands can be. If this becomes the new normal, I'm okay with it.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
I was always 'old' school when it came to PA. Power amp, un powered EV speakers did the job for us for over 50 years. Then i discovered powered speakers. Great clean sound, lots of power for what we do, no heavy power amp, win win situation. Cant go wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
No it wasn't an ipad. We're not that technically advanced. Its probably bigger than an IPad. Certainly thicker. It just seemed shockingly small for a 16 channel board.
The size limitation is quickly become the connector panel. Sixteen XLR's, inserts and line-ins, effects sends and returns, main and monitor outputs, etc. The same has happened with hi-fi receivers, the electronics can be mounted in a box 1 RU high, but all the connectors require 4 or 5 RU.

Powered speakers are getting better all the time, too. Usually the amps are sized perfectly to power the drivers just right, and are well balanced. Connections get easier - all line level, no more bulky, long (and inefficient) speaker cables.

As @Milkman said, once you've seen the future, it's pretty hard to look at that clunky old stuff. Even when it keeps working and working.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I couldn't go back to a component PA. The biggest improvement I found was the overall balance. As long as you use quality mics and mic everything half decent you hardly need any corrective eq.

Yorkville paraline or parasource powered arrays are amazing!

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,850 Posts
One thing I like about modern digital boards are the memeory (programmability). If you do the same room, the same band or either of the above, you can easily save those settings, name them whatever you like and recall them at will.

Have the starting point at a show that is the result of several hours of dialing in the room is a HUGE advantage.

What seems complicated when it comes to these boards ends up simplifying things dramatically.

Mine’s not tiny but it does fit (with a road case) in the trunk of my car (not a big trunk), and when you consider that it replaces a normal 32 channel board, effects rack, snake........for me there’s no decision to make at all, other than cost elements.

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
Can you explain in a little more detail. I get the board and effects but not sure about the snake. Are you saying the system is wireless?

·
Premium Member
16,850 Posts
Yes, the board is set up side stage and acts as a sort of home base and also as the snake head.

It’s also important to note that at least for small to medium sized shows (say, up to 1000 bodies) you also eliminate the 6’ table in prime real estate usually needed for the FOH control.

The QSC system uses WiFi to enable an app on either Android or ios devices.

I use an Apple Airport WiFi and it has never failed me.

So, I set basic stuff up at the board but walk around the house and mix with an iPad.

I can do pretty in depth editing and mix on the fly with the iPad. It’s pretty cool.

Also, anyone in the band with a smartphone can be given control of their monitor mix. I give them access to whatever I choose.

I have like, ten monitor mixes available I think.

It’s nuts, the capability these systems have.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Yes, the board is set up side stage and acts as a sort of home base and also as the snake head.

It’s also important to note that at least for small to medium sized shows (say, up to 1000 bodies) you also eliminate the 6’ table in prime real estate usually needed for the FOH control.

The QSC system uses WiFi to enable an app on either Android or ios devices.

I use an Apple Airport WiFi and it has never failed me.

So, I set basic stuff up at the board but walk around the house and mix with an iPad.

I can do pretty in depth editing and mix on the fly with the iPad. It’s pretty cool.

Also, anyone in the band with a smartphone can be given control of their monitor mix. I give them access to whatever I choose.

I have like, ten monitor mixes available I think.

It’s nuts, the capability these systems have.
Wow Milkman. thats short of amazing. Being able to adjust monitor mix.

·
Premium Member
16,850 Posts
Wow Milkman. thats short of amazing. Being able to adjust monitor mix.
Yes, most people have a smartphone of some sort. It’s nice being able to make exactly the adjustment to your monitor mix that you have in mind, rather than trying to communicate that to the guy behind the board.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts