The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
I do believe @mhammer made something like this didn't he?

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
I do believe @mhammer made something like this didn't he?
Yep. Good memory, guy. Two cabinets, like this one, with room for 12 modules each. The curse of modulars has always been that the manufacturer tries "the Apple strategy" and uses proprietary modules and connections, so if they don't make all the modules YOU want, then their format becomes a deterrent. Korg tried it. SCI tried it. MXR tried it. Vesta tried it. And probably some others. And they were all consigned to the dustbin of history because of that limitation.

The difference between those and my own approach is that I make the modules to my tastes for myself, so I can have pretty much whatever I want. The 2.5 x 4" anodized plates allow for plenty of room for controls and adding functions as I think of them. I think I bought 30 or more of the plates, so there are plenty of options available to me. Some of the modules I made are splitter/mixer modules so that I can do parallel processing. Each module has a toggle for true-bypass, but there are also non-dedicated electronic switches that can allow for momentary or latched switching of individual modules or clusters. Think of it like an AXE-FX, but in hardware.

There was a pedal company in the booth across from us at NAMM that was showing a fairly flexible modular system that got around the you-must-use-our-modules curse. I'll have to dig around and find out their name, because I'm blocking on it at the moment.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Korg PME series was module based (1983). Not quite as 'petite' as this new guy. The Korg was/is a great unit, lots of good sounding standard fx and a few really cool non-standard ones too. The Octave V and Waveshaper modules are very cool.
Nice to see the concept being revisited.

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
The PME series was indeed a great series, with some terrific and highly desirable modules. It's Achilles heel was the same as everyone else's attempting a modular approach. It was proprietary, so you had to like their modules and they had to provide enough of them. They did try to provide one of everything that we thought of as an effect category at the time, but they did not provide two of anything, so you HAD to like their choices. IIRC, there was a module for using external devices. But these days, being limited to 4 modules/effects is considered less than a full pedalboard.

I have one of the Waveshapers. Bought it 35 years ago for $25 from Active Surplus in Toronto. Haven't used it in a number of years, but I remember it as being decent.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I made something similar too - but more like the Nintendo cartridges of my childhood. Mark saw it when he came over. It was more about me trying to escape the off-board wiring that comes with every pedal. It often takes me about the same time as populating a vero board and the off-board components boost the cost if you make many. So I standardized to a cheap DSUB connector, bought a bunch of little plastic enclosures and made a console into which you can plug 4 modules at a time. I call it the Mothership. It's like a rapidly configurable, 4 pedal board. It allows me to quickly make and play a pedal I find online. If I really love the circuit, I can always make another or restuff it into a traditional pedal enclosure.

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
Henretta Engineering also makes tiny pedals, using the tiny Hammond 1590MM chassis. Where the pedals in the video have panel-mounted controls and offload the bypass switching to a master control unit, the Henretta strategy is to provide the bypass switch in the box itself, and stick the controls inside as trimmers. There's pros and cons to each approach. https://www.henrettaengineering.com/Henretta_Engineering/Products.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Love the Korg PME. I ve been picking them up everytime I see them for cheap in the last 20 so odd years... Think I have 5 Units...

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
The "Woody" acoustic guitar simulator. They even used the same font for the legending that I used on the original build document.

When I saw that Guitar Fetish had begun carrying what were clearly Biyang pedals, I wrote to GF president Jay Abend, who said he would be happy to not carry that pedal, because the same sort of thing had happened to him in past and he knew how it felt. How do I know they pirated it? Because someone on the DIYstompbox forum bought one, reverse-engineered it, and said "Yup, it's the identical design".

That said, the lineup of people whose designs were made and sold by someone else, portraying them as wholly original, without permission or credit given, is pretty dang long. I am reminded of the Borges story "Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote" ( Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote - Wikipedia ), in which what appears to be a word-for-word copy of one of the world's most important novels is said by the author to mean something different, underneath the words, hence not a true copy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How much is cheap?
Two were $20, my first one was $40 and I think that the most expensive one was $60 since wanted one of the module on it...

Basically have spares of all and 2 units is sufficient for all my needs... easy to carry in my gig bag...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts