The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have my vht special 6. i like it, especially sitting on the awesome fuchs cab i bought from roryfan years ago.
i have always wanted to get another small amp to split my signal to, so i can also split my effects, and run one amp clean. i like the special 6. it does what i need it to do but it breaks up real early though. i want something i can run clean or at least mostly clean, that will be about the same power. any suggestions? it doesn't have to be head/cab, it can be a combo. if at all possible though, i would like tubes instead of s.s.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
I recently bought one of these things - "FootNote Electric Guitar 5 Watt Amp Assembly with Power Supply" from www.parts-express.com! . I got mine from Princess Auto, but since you're stateside you could order from a few different sources without having to worry about unexpected brokerage fees. Originally intended to provide an all-in-one solution for a portable powered/amplified pedalboard. The power-amp chips used are individually rated at 10W max each, but a pair are used in bridged mode, potentially capable of much more than 10W. However, they are run at a lower voltage (9V) which keeps them well within their limits. VERY clean. Indeed, many folks might not like these units because they ARE so clean, with nary a trace of clipping. The unit yields about 5W with a 9V supply. One can probably run it with a higher supply voltage (e.g., 12VDC) for a little more juice, although the power jacks for the pedals do not have any individual regulation, so if you feed the amp 12V, any pedals you run power cords to would also get 12V. That can work out fine in some instances and in others not so much. As the specs and pics show, it includes a number of other built-in conveniences.

I suspect most other kinds of lower-power amps, whether tube or solid-state, besides being more costly, would aim to provide grind at lower volumes; the opposite of what you seek.

·
Premium Member
16,789 Posts
Look for an epiphone valve jr. Affordable and should stay clean enough for you.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For clean tones in an affordable small package, a Roland Cube 60 or 30 watt is pretty hard to beat. If you are dead set on tubes, a Peavey Classic 30 is a good bang for the buck but comes with a larger footprint. The Milkman 1 watter has caught my eye but I have not tried it.
i had a cube 30 before, and it was a decent little practice amp. i thought you got good bang for your buck. at $24 delivered, @mhammer's suggestion is very interesting, and i think i'll try one just to see what you get for $20. the valve junior, i haven't seen one of those for sale in quite a while, but if one comes up used, i may try it out to see what it can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts