The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Wich one do you prefer (your opinion)

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there, summer has come, money has come, time to spend it. I have a budget of 1000-1100$ cad. I have here 2 main contender. In the left corner, the epiphone explorer goth and in the right corner, the jackson kelly kex. The kelly cost around 900 and the epiphone around 700$. Main issue, i don't know the feel of the kelly. I went to almost every guitar store inside of the province of quebec and ive never seen a kelly so i never got to try one. the standard kelly, the js32, have a satin neck but the kex model seems to have a different sort of neck paint or simply a different neck. On the site, there is gloss finish and then, there is painted finish. Does it mean that the neck is painted with a satin black finish? Also, is there guitar with a neck similar to the kelly because i would like to have an idea of what the kelly feels like. i was also wondering, do i buy the explorer but install a floyd frx or just get the kelly?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Why go for the also rans? Get yourself the world champ. Fender Stratocaster HSS. It fights in the heavyweight category even though it's a featherweight.

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
Neither one is really my thing, but I've never been big on Jacksons (For myself at least--if you want to play them--go for it)
Explorers are more my thing, but I'd be likely to pick a different one--but based on that I voted for the Explorer
But only you can make the final decision.

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
Save your money until you know what you want. $1K gets you a used USA jackson.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not a shredder, but I've played Jacksons across the range and, in terms of quality, would put them up against most Gibsons, nevermind Epi.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
FYI, you could get the Kelly from MF and have it shipped to Vermont for under $700.00 with the exchange. They list at $599.00 USD but you can get a 15% off coupon.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
i'd go with the kelly. i had one once. my buddy dropped it and it slid down a set of stairs. once tuned, it was fine other than scuffs. it played well, and made rock and roll sounds.

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
I don't really want to pay an extra for a made in usa guitar. What's the deal with usa made guitars? Why are they so expensive?
More expensive labour and usually better parts all around in comparison to brands like epiphone or squier.

I dont know why you would spend one thousand dollars on a brand new import jackson when you can get a better guitar used for less money.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Labour costs. My Made in Mexico Strat is as good if not better than my USA one.
That's not the only reason why though...

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
More expensive labour and usually better parts all around in comparison to brands like epiphone or squier.

I dont know why you would spend one thousand dollars on a brand new import jackson when you can get a better guitar used for less money.

Buy nice or buy twice.

That's not the only reason why though...
I know but this has been discussed to death and didn't want to start another crazy long discussion.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
With Jacksons the USA models are leaps and bounds beyond the asian made. They feel way better, its just 'right' with no compromises. Great ebony fretboards, great fret work, german floyd, better pots and wiring, perfect setup, compound radius necks etc.. I'm saving up for a USA Soloist as my next big purchase after trying one that was used but I didn't have the cash. Im not one to finance, but regret not buying it. Check ebay, there is a good selection of used USA models.

I wouldn't bother with the epi. There arn't enough made of that model to have a good selection to find a decent one. Also, Im not sure of the specs of the neck, but it may not be up to modern standards like too fat and round etc.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Labour costs. My Made in Mexico Strat is as good if not better than my USA one.
It is still not the same quality though, and you may not feel the same way in 10 years when the electronics, tuners and bridge are all wearing out while the US model would probably be just getting broken in.

I just got a MIM strat in a trade and while it plays and sounds alright, I can already see room for upgrading just about everything about it when I should really be moving on to the US deluxe model that would last a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
It is still not the same quality though, and you may not feel the same way in 10 years when the electronics, tuners and bridge are all wearing out while the US model would probably be just getting broken in.

I just got a MIM strat in a trade and while it plays and sounds alright, I can already see room for upgrading just about everything about it when I should really be moving on to the US deluxe model that would last a lifetime.
You may be right. My 17 yr old USA Strat is still going strong. Bought it used last year.

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
I just dont know why the OP wants a $1000 guitar when he can get a $2000 guitar for $1000.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I just dont know why the OP wants a $1000 guitar when he can get a $2000 guitar for $1000.
That answer is simple. Everyone is in a different place when it comes to purchasing gear.

To me it sounds like OP wants to buy the best he can afford new. Many of us are not afraid to buy used, and have had good experiences with that segment of the market. Many of us are comfortable with our skill sets and can get a guitar to be the way we want it to be. I am certain that if an American Jackson presented itself to me at a bargain price, it would be in my collection.

I can not comment on the two guitars he has targeted. They have never wound up in my hands.

Good luck with your endeavour.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts