The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the threads strip on my boom at this weekends gig. The dam boom seems to always be a pain anyway. I've been looking at tilt mic stands. They tilt to leave plenty of room between my guitar and the stand. I was looking at the Hercules MS401B but the fact that the tile angle isn't lockable worries me.
So L&M has this Ultimate stand with a regular round base. Just wondering if anyone is using a tilt mic stand and what they think of it? Sure looks like it would be nice for tight situations.

Ultimate Support - Full Tilt, Round Base Microphone Stand

MS401B

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I had a few boom stands where the cheapo plastic wing nuts stripped (the one that tightened the tilt mechanism). I found some better quality wing nuts with metal inserts at Lee Valley and they've been good ever since. Something like this .....

upload_2018-10-29_8-29-22.jpeg

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Had the threads strip on my boom at this weekends gig.
I feel for ya, same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Was tearing down to pack for a gig, all my gear was set up in my rehearsal space. The boom threads stripped and I moved my mic stand only to have the boom fall off and fall right on the top of my acoustic. Lucky I didn't have a mic on it, and also lucky it didn't punch a hole in my guitar. Left a big dent in the guitar's top though and was super annoying.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel for ya, same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Was tearing down to pack for a gig, all my gear was set up in my rehearsal space. The boom threads stripped and I moved my mic stand only to have the boom fall off and fall right on the top of my acoustic. Lucky I didn't have a mic on it, and also lucky it didn't punch a hole in my guitar. Left a big dent in the guitar's top though and was super annoying.
Yes I'm pretty much done with boom stands. I don't really need them. This was just the last straw for me but the main problem is the amount of room they take up. For now I'm going to grab a gooseneck for my straight stand with the round base and I may grab the Hercules MS401B or the Ultimate Support MC-FT-200. Of course the one I really want is the Peavey V-Base. It looks almost easy enough to make if I found someone handy to do it.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
A few years ago my mic stand stopped tightening at the boom. It was some generic stand packaged with a mic. Peter Tong at Mojo Music in Oakville suggested the Profile stand, and it's still working today! Love it. I made a point of getting the Profile for a cab mic, and it works with no issues too.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
I use a goose neck stand with a tripod base that folds up when not in use.
It works well around the pedal board too.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,523 Posts
I know there are different ways to do this, but I like a nice boom stand. If you go cheap you get shitty, easily stripped fasteners.

Once a good boom is locked in place it's the best and most versatile solution for me.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know there are different ways to do this, but I like a nice boom stand. If you go cheap you get shitty, easily stripped fasteners.

Once a good boom is locked in place it's the best and most versatile solution for me.
I spent $100 on the mic and boom. Maybe not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. For me its about simplicity. I play guitar and sing. A tilt stand will give me the clearance I need for my guitar and pedals. It will work in tight spaces. No adjustments need to be made. I did fix my boom threads by using a lube thread lock and it seems nice and solid now. I'll keep my mic and boom for any situations I might need it and I'll buy a goose neck for my straight mic but I'm gonna track down one of these tilt mic stands as well.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Exactly. Usually I place my boom off to the side and don't have those issues but sometimes the stages are tight and you have no choice but to have it in front.
Off to the side or almost vertical - that guy in the video had his set up poorly as you want to just clear your guitar - not be able to stand 6 feet back.

The other thing I learned is to never mount tablets or drink holders on your mic stand unless you want a beer-soaked pedal board or a cracked tablet.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Off to the side or almost vertical - that guy in the video had his set up poorly as you want to just clear your guitar - not be able to stand 6 feet back.

The other thing I learned is to never mount tablets or drink holders on your mic stand unless you want a beer-soaked pedal board or a cracked tablet.
I don't drink alchohol. I might have a bottled water on stage and I usually place it behind me on the floor with the top tightened on. I've very careful with drinks. I've had some band members place a beer on my amp.

·
Premium Member
16,523 Posts
I spent $100 on the mic and boom. Maybe not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. For me its about simplicity. I play guitar and sing. A tilt stand will give me the clearance I need for my guitar and pedals. It will work in tight spaces. No adjustments need to be made. I did fix my boom threads by using a lube thread lock and it seems nice and solid now. I'll keep my mic and boom for any situations I might need it and I'll buy a goose neck for my straight mic but I'm gonna track down one of these tilt mic stands as well.
Yes, I also sing and play. I prefer the distance the boom allows. I know the tilt stands won’t contact the guitar, but they’re close enough that it’s a distraction to me.

Plus I sometimes use the same boom stand to sit down at the piano.

I’ll be interested to know how you like the tilt stand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts