1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
not personally, but our vet has a sign up that they first encountered ticks this season at the start of March.

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
They destroy your life if the tick is a Lyme carrier. 60% of ticks carry Lyme disease.

If diagnosed early, it's easier to treat. It's becoming an epidemic problem in Canada. Denied by those in the pockets of big pharma.

I'm well acquainted with Lyme. Never walk when brushing up against plants without long sleeves and pant in socks.

Removing them is tricky to do right too.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I had a tick two years ago at Presqu'ile Provincial Park - it was a pain in the butt because I wasn't able to properly remove the tick myself and had to spend a couple of hours in the emerg at Trenton to get it dealt with. Fortunately no harmful after-effects!

This is important reading before you get a tick:
This Is the Only Thing You Should Do If a Tick Lands on You

The "shortcuts" for tick removal do more harm than good.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow they are getting dogs with 500-1,000 ticks on them:

Puppy with 700 ticks needs blood transfusion after being rescued near Regina

" To keep family pets safe from ticks, Marshall said she recommends both a topical and oral product.
Both available from the vet, the cream repels up to 98 per cent of ticks, while the pill kills the bugs shortly after contact with the animal."

that is good news if you own a dog

strange there is no pill available for humans, that will kill the tick as soon as it bites into us? I think that would be pretty useful

I guess I won't be wearing shorts when I go mountain biking this summer!

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
It's been a problem in my area for a couple of years now. They are showing up in early march

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I try to wear rubber boots if I'm going in tall grass. They find some people more attractive than others, I think it is heat related.
I run fairly cool and can go in the woods with my nephew and pick up none where he might get 5 to 10.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are so many up north now, that a mild winter will have a bunch of moose die from tick infestation. I won't post a pic, it's awful. Google it if you must.
holy crap...I had no idea they could bring down a MOOSE

until now, I always thought they were just a nuisance. But googled it & apparently Moose all over the Eastern US and Canada are threatened by these damn things

what the hell eats ticks?

birds? spiders? whatever it is, we need more of them

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
holy crap...I had no idea they could bring down a MOOSE

until now, I always thought they were just a nuisance. But googled it & apparently Moose all over the Eastern US and Canada are threatened by these damn things

what the hell eats ticks?

birds? spiders? whatever it is, we need more of them
Chickens and possums eat them apparently

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
We have wild turkeys on our farm. I was wondering if they get ticks too?
Nope, they eat em.

"Young wild turkeys are known to eat deer ticks, but not to the extent that they are effective in controlling the tick population. Wild turkeys enjoy small, crawling insects and can eat up to 200 ticks a day, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission."

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you can put up with the racket, these are supposed to be the most effective tick devourers, of any animal

P

·
0 Posts
Do the turkeys send one out into the field to get completely covered with ticks then the others eat them off the volunteer?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts