The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on my way home from the office and I'm listening to Dave Rocks 107.5 when a song comes on that I really like. I see its a song by Three Days Grace. So I'm always up for new "to me", music. So I get home and I search out what is considered the best Three Days Grace album. Seems most think its One-X. So I load it up in youtube to have a listen. I'm still listening to it and its on the 9th track. But by the 4th track I'm thinking there singing the same song over and over. In-fact the song I'm listening to right now, the 9th track of the album is called "Over and over". And to me, so far that about describes this band. Everything sounds the same. Is this what people criticize Nickleback for?
By the way the song I was listening to on the radio by this band is called "Just Like You". And it sounds like just about every cut on the One-x album even though its not one of the tracks on the album.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
A one hit wonder, over and over and over and over again?

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,988 Posts
Isn't that normal? Most artists/bands have a "sound", and most of their songs sound kind of the same. At least that's what I've always found. Once you've heard one popular song, you get a good idea of what the rest of their music will be like. For me, that idea applies to nearly any artist/band from any era of music after 1950.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Everything sounds the same. Is this what people criticize Nickleback for?
Cause they're produced by Chad Kroeger!

First song I heard was Nothing Could Come Between Us. (probably when it came out) I loved it! The first couple times.... then was kinda sick of it. Then when I heard another tune, I'm like... ya, I don't think I like these guys all that much.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't that normal? Most artists/bands have a "sound", and most of their songs sound kind of the same. At least that's what I've always found. Once you've heard one popular song, you get a good idea of what the rest of their music will be like. For me, that idea applies to nearly any artist/band from any era of music after 1950.
Yes for sure you get a sound that becomes like a brand for the band. Something that appeals to you. But there is diversity and creativity in song writing\recording.
But this 3 days grace band sounds like the same song recycled over and over.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I'm surprised these guys are still around. They have a sound that's massively dated. I can't imagine hearing them on a new-music station - their material would sound so jarringly out-of-place next to everything else.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I can think of a few bands that don't sound the same every song. If you guys are talking about sheeple music, then all I can say is, "huh?". Of course it all sounds the same.

Fever Ray
MGMT (first album - not sure about the others)
Radiohead
Arcade Fire

Those are just off the top of my head that don't sound the same every song.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
I'm surprised these guys are still around. They have a sound that's massively dated. I can't imagine hearing them on a new-music station - their material would sound so jarringly out-of-place next to everything else.
They're still getting a lot of play on the satellite radio stations like octane and liquid metal.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Yes, there are lots of bands that don't sound the same. Perhaps some of you remember the Beatles.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Does the theory of bands having an overall sound come and go in waves? There are quite a few lately that definitely have a 'sound', but that's not the same as knowing a song you've never heard is "So & So".... I think.

Radiohead was mentioned.... I'm pretty sure I can tell it's them before I know it's them, and they are quite diverse, overall. Other bands have...err... formulas.... Black Dog sounds nothing like That's the Way, but The Immigrant Song is similar (in style) to Communication Breakdown. Start at 100mph and plow through!

Bands like Nickleback, Theory, and Creed, seem to make the same songs, and same albums over and over showing no growth.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
First song I heard was Nothing Could Come Between Us. (probably when it came out) I loved it! The first couple times.... then was kinda sick of it. Then when I heard another tune, I'm like... ya, I don't think I like these guys all that much.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I can think of a few bands that don't sound the same every song. If you guys are talking about sheeple music, then all I can say is, "huh?". Of course it all sounds the same.

Fever Ray
MGMT (first album - not sure about the others)
Radiohead
Arcade Fire

Those are just off the top of my head that don't sound the same every song.
You forgot Cold Play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
AC/DC anyone?
Yes! Me.

Lol

Honestly the iconic ACDC songs sound very similar but their stuff just rocks. A, D and E. I have learned so many old school licks, song phrasing’s and techniques etc from the 35+ years I have been listening to them. Listening to them motivates me to try new stuff and learn it. It never grows old. I can’t frankly say that about Nickleback or Three days grace.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Most, but not all, bands. I couldn't say it better than Jack Black:

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,988 Posts
Most, but not all, bands. I couldn't say it better than Jack Black:

When I hear music at a glance, I primarily hear the singer's vocal style, the guitarist's playing style, and the general production feel. If I get familiar enough, I can tell pretty quickly who it is when a song comes on the radio by -=insert artist/band name here=-, especially when the singer comes in or when a guitar solo starts. It isn't until I listen more purposefully (or learn to play it) that I realize it is actually quite variable. In the sense of what I'm referring to, even bands like Rush and The Beatles fall into the category of, "all their stuff sounds kind of the same."

I'm a fan of Dream Theater. JP et al use an incredible breadth of musical techniques, timings, and you name it to introduce a wide variety of texture in their music. But again, just to hear it without analyzing it or learning to play it, it sure all sounds the same to me. Nothing wrong with that.

@Lola has a great example with ACDC. All their stuff is very much the same. Even on a closer listen, their music is really quite technically uninteresting (to me at least). But I'll be damned if it isn't fun to listen to, jam/sing to, and maybe even dance (badly) to. My one year old loves ACDC! Once day I was trying to entertain him with my guitar and ended up playing/singing a bit of thunderstruck. Now he walks around the house bobbing his head around wildly yelling, "THUNDER! Oo aa ooo aa AA oo AAaaww..." All while flailing his hands/fingers around playing air guitar.

The only problem with that is, now that's the only song he'll let me play. He asks me to pick up the guitar and play "thunder" all the freakin' time. If I try to start playing anything else, he gets mad. :(

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Yea, I can get that. Bands have a signature sound that is probably more of a positive than a negative wrt marketing themselves. Both of those bands have very recognizable sounds (and one had a significant singer change along the way). Nearly every band is like this though. Tom Petty was Tom's voice. Zep was Percy's voice. The Who was Daltry's voice. **** was the Stones sound. Jon was Yes. To most of the general public, Pink Floyd was the lead singer's name. It's what the public does.

But, to me, there is no comparison listening to Rush's earliest 'Canadian Zeppelin' stuff or their prog rock stuff, or their keyboardy new wave synth pop stuff. Or their return to the power trio stuff in the later decades. They were a band with a lot of sauce.

I don't hear that variety in bands like AC/DC, which is also cool. Who can argue against their success? And people who love AC/DC have never been disappointed by AC/DC (with the exception of the last couple of years when the Axl fell off the wheels). They bring their brand of rock night after night, album after album. They don't risk losing their market the way bands like Rush do (they lost me totally from Signals to about the mid 90s).

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes! Me.

Lol

Honestly the iconic ACDC songs sound very similar but their stuff just rocks. A, D and E. I have learned so many old school licks, song phrasing’s and techniques etc from the 35+ years I have been listening to them. Listening to them motivates me to try new stuff and learn it. It never grows old. I can’t frankly say that about Nickleback or Three days grace.
I think there is a difference between something like AC\DC and Three days grace. One has a signature sound and has made a lot of hits of songs that are distinguishable as being a different song. The other band all there songs seem to sound like exactly the same song.
AC\DC definitely has a formula signature sound to their music. Three days grace seems to have written one song. So what I don't get is how come so much hate on for Nickleback for doing the same thing, and I don't see the same hate for a band like Three days grace?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts