The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My trio of cheap guitars from ebay.... over the last while I have picked up these guitars either as whole or as parts off of ebay. I had lots of parts sitting round the shop and ended up with this combo ...

[/IMG]

The squier 51 has an old Ibanez HB from the 70's in the bridge and a custom wound strat pickup in the neck position. The strat pickup compliments the HB nicely. the HB is splittable via switch. Changed the controls around to make them more usable and added a tone control.

[/IMG]

The red one is an Epi LP Special with misc hardware and a pair of older HB's from my Sheraton. Nice playing and sounding guitar.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The black one is my parts LP. The body is a Epi LP Special, the neck is a no name but very nice.. Pickups are GFS Dream 180's and its is wired so that the tone is a push pull that splits the neck pup. Very sweet sounding and playing guitar....

[/IMG]

At the moment my three amigo's.... just gotta decide which one I keep... :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your no help....... :D I am kind of partial to the black one, the dream 180's have a very cool sound.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's truly amazing what a little modding can do to a guitar, both cosmetically, and for the instrument's sound.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I always liked the look of the Squire 51 but could never find one that didn't have a severe case of fret sprout.

Last year Long & Mquade in Ottawa were blowing them out cheap-I made them open 3 or 4 boxes and all had suffered the same fate.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The squier did require some fret work, it was buzzing out at the high end, one fret slighty lifted and a few needing some filing. The edges were rough but a little work there and that was solved. After that it plays well, and it has a real spank to it..... Also the squier when recieved was not set up at all, horrible action, bad intonation. But like said a little TLC and it's a player.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I have been trying to find a cheap Epi Special for awhile, but everyone wants too much for them locally. They look like an ideal mod platform.

How do you like the Dream 180's? I had a set for a project, but never ended up doing the project.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Dream 180's have there own sound, a bit of the gretch sound , a bit of the paf... There very responsive to attack on the string which I like. Not TV Jones but they are sweet.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 3 amigo's have a visitor...

The Hamm Community Guitar dropped over for a sleepover....

[/IMG]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts