The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been out for quite a while now but I haven't had a chance to try it.

People who own it or have owned it, what do/did you think of it?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I've had two. Its a very good pedal, maybe the most versatile tape delay in a pedal. It is dead quiet. It doesn't really emulate any one type of tape delay and you can do just about anything you want with the repeats. If you're willing to spend the time to set it up the way you want, it will reward you. To me it sounds better for modulated clean delay than for dirt, but YMMV. It can be difficult to power with some of the older supplies.

I have also had the Belle Epoch (dead on EP3 emulation, but not much else, also sounds better to me with cleans, a bit of noise) the Alter Ego (lots of models, most sound very good, but you can't really manipulate it like the El Cap, very quiet) and the Trex Replica (dead quiet, great with both clean and dirt, but no control over modulation etc) The Empress super delay also has a great tape emulation, but I find it a bit noisy compared to the others.

They all lack a bit compared to a real tape echo, but are so much easier to use and maintain.

At the moment the Replica is my keeper, simple but good.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I agree with much of the above and I've had the same delay pedals. I've bought my El Cap twice but only did that to upgrade to the silent switches. The El Cap has been with me for 5+ years at this point, no changes planned.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I like my El Cap quite a bit. Recently sold my timeline and have an el cap and DIG in its place. I have tried an RE-20 and Belle Epoch as well. Both great pedals but the El Cap has been a keeper for me. Lots of versatility and stereo operation kept it on my board. To me the El Cap does benefit from having a preamp in front of it.

You might also consider the new Belle Epoch Deluxe that's supposed to be arriving soon.

·
Administrator
17,363 Posts
I'm very happy with the tape emulation on the DD-20, plus you get 4 other presets to toggle through as needed. I do usually run an EP booster in front of it.

Reactions: zdogma

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I'm very happy with the tape emulation on the DD-20, plus you get 4 other presets to toggle through as needed. I do usually run an EP booster in front of it.
Yeah, most delays seem to benefit from a preamp in front (makes them sound a lot more like the EP3), I have the Solo Dallas storm before delay and it really makes them shine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.