Votes: 14 82.4%
  • other

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to snag this body from Andrew and just wondering what the general consensus on neck finish would be? I'm leaning towards rosewood but i think a very light finished maple might also work, similar to the 2 bands of flame maple in the body. I don't have any photoshop skills (or software) so this is the best i can do :)

Reactions: dmc69

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I was lucky enough to snag this body from Andrew and just wondering what the general consensus on neck finish would be? I'm leaning towards rosewood but i think a very light finished maple might also work, similar to the 2 bands of flame maple in the body. I don't have any photoshop skills (or software) so this is the best i can do :)

Rosewood...bound with maple

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
First of all, congrats on the new body Dave! Andrew is an amazing builder and is a great person to deal with. He made me a Thinline Tele that is incredible.

I generally prefer maple necks on Teles, but the rosewood pic looks great.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rosewood.

I think if you went Maple, then the yellow “vintage” tint is not the way to go. A “whiter” Maple would look better.
Yep, agree completely and have already ruled out anything vintage or yellow :) I've considered other exotic woods and also something like a solid rosewood neck, but ultimately price will play a big factor. If i can't find a good quality used one for a fair price then I'll just ask Andrew to build me one.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Give any consideration to roasted maple? Andrew could help you out there too.
Yes, I've thought about it. Also thought about mahogany neck with rosewood board, which he may have had on here originally.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Straight, 9.5 or larger radius, big frets and smooth finish.... Board material is my last consideration.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Straight, 9.5 or larger radius, big frets and smooth finish.... Board material is my last consideration.
I would normally agree, although i prefer 9.5 or smaller :) In this particular case the woods are so unique that a wrong choice is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Yep, agree completely and have already ruled out anything vintage or yellow :) I've considered other exotic woods and also something like a solid rosewood neck, but ultimately price will play a big factor. If i can't find a good quality used one for a fair price then I'll just ask Andrew to build me one.
I would go with getting one built if it isn't a lot more. I like my neck I made more than any other necks I have, though it makes most neck feel like toy guitars now because it is a beast.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Because of the darker center of your guitar, the light fretboard looks out of place to me. That said, I prefer dark necks so maybe my preference has coloured my opinion.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A reddish Mahogany or flamed Maple to pick up the two smaller bands of either in the body would look cool.

Edit: and then we need to talk pups!

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A reddish Mahogany or flamed Maple to pick up the two smaller bands of either in the body would look cool.

Edit: and then we need to talk pups!
My new faves are Dimarzio Twang King neck and Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge. With a 4 way switch of course.

Reactions: StratCat
1 - 20 of 33 Posts