The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new working bass rig (read: gigged about 2 weekends a month and other than that it will live in our gear trailer waiting for the next gig). What I want is:

1. Reliability. I want to be comfortable that when I get where I am going and plug it in it is going to work. I have played Yorkville's for years for this very reason.

2. 2x15" because I'm old :smile:. Preferably in the same cabinet (as we have a ramped trailer size is not an issue). I know ... 2 4x10s or 1 2x10 and 1 15 or 2 12s etc ... I have played all sorts of combinations over the years but in the end I have returned to my roots and prefer 2x15's.

3. Power is not much of a concern as I DI to the PA in most situations - so for the most part this is just to be heard on stage. Even without the PA I have found my current 200W Yorkville 2x10 and 1x15 setup to be enough (even outdoors).

4. Reasonably inexpensive. As this will be a working rig, and we do some corporate/private but mostly the rural roadhouse circuit, I expect it will be knocked over/stolen/smashed/bled on/sprayed with beer etc at some point (and not just by me :food-smiley-004:)

5. Other nice-to-haves-but-not-imperative would be passive and active inputs, contour and limiter (preferably adjustable) and built in DI out

I have never been a big fan of Hartke but I am thinking of getting a 2500 or 3500 with a VX215 (w/paper drivers). The 2500/vx215 sounds pretty good in the store - but that's not real life. Does anyone have any experience with these? Again I am a bit suspect of the brand ... but $700 tax in and delivered to my door ... pretty much exactly what I am looking for ...

Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
RE Hartke

I've owed and used a 3500 for years (with a 4x10 XL cab, aluminum cone), and I love it. It's been a tank and never let me down. Jack Bruce seems pretty happy with Hartke too. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I used a Hartke XL410 cab for about 18 years. The XL series cabs are extremely well built. I've heard less than stellar reviews about the Transporter and VX series' though. I had heard good things about the XL series 2x15 cab which is something I'd like to try out myself as I've grown the like 15" speakers this past year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts