The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Best Buy Merrivale had a faded walnut in the store a few weeks back - a store demo with half pealed price stickers all over the back of it. might've been $599? I can't imagine that it's still there, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I like them. I bought one but returned it because I couldn't set the action as I normally do (low) without buzzing on the higher frets.
BestBuy has them on sale for $600 right now. L&M is $800.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Had an older one ('04?) that was pretty decent bang for the buck. That particular year had 490s in the bridge as well as the neck position which sounded remarkably like Classic 57s. Nice chunky neck too, but the only downside was that the body was made from 5-6 pieces. Most recent low-end Gibsons have really underwhelmed me (fit, finish & the hardware feels cheap), so I would not buy one sight unseen, however I'm sure there are a few good 'uns out there if you're picky & patient.

Still kick myself for passing on an early-mid 90s Special with the ebony board - IIRC those are distinguished by abalone moon inlays.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I had a faded cherry SG and liked it a lot.
I decided that I would prefer a full bling Custom and sold the faded.
I have not found the right replacement yet. I still need to clear 30 or more guitars and a few more amps/cabs before something comes home.
Most of my guitars have dots on the neck, and I would like a full bling version of a keeper guitar.
Still have a 2013 Prototype 50’s Tribute SG that just seems to growl in a Jr kind of way.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I had an SG faded and put a set of Wolfetone Legend PAF's in it

it was a killer guitar! wish I hadn't sold it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.