The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If you like the finish they are as good as any other SG Special. I like them but then SGs are my favourite guitars

·
Registered
82 Posts
Depending on the price/year I would say yay. Then again, I am a sucker for an SG. I've had my eyes set on one of those super dark brown faded ones (at least I think they are part of the faded series) from 2016.

Just so dark and evil looking.....If I stumble across one at the right price....

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Best Buy Merrivale had a faded walnut in the store a few weeks back - a store demo with half pealed price stickers all over the back of it. might've been $599? I can't imagine that it's still there, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Yay. I have one of the Special 70s Tribute models from last year (swapped the minis for P90s) and it is a sweet player with the satin finish.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
If its a well built one and you like SGs do it.

Im a fan of satin finishes in general. They do a studio faded now too.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I like them. I bought one but returned it because I couldn't set the action as I normally do (low) without buzzing on the higher frets.
BestBuy has them on sale for $600 right now. L&M is $800.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Had one with P90's and didn't like it , The neck felt like an old baseball bat , But that's just me , I like a more finished neck , The body well it's not as important.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Had an older one ('04?) that was pretty decent bang for the buck. That particular year had 490s in the bridge as well as the neck position which sounded remarkably like Classic 57s. Nice chunky neck too, but the only downside was that the body was made from 5-6 pieces. Most recent low-end Gibsons have really underwhelmed me (fit, finish & the hardware feels cheap), so I would not buy one sight unseen, however I'm sure there are a few good 'uns out there if you're picky & patient.

Still kick myself for passing on an early-mid 90s Special with the ebony board - IIRC those are distinguished by abalone moon inlays.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like the thinner finishes. They don’t have the same lustre as the high gloss finishes, but they still feel and look great.

I don’t mind knocking my sgj around, and that’s very freeing to me.

L

·
0 Posts
early-mid 90s Special with the ebony board - IIRC those are distinguished by abalone moon inlays.
I had a chance to play one for a bit a coupla' weeks back.
Asked the owner for dib's if he should decide to sell it.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I was going to buy one recently when L&M put them on sale (never saw best buy, $600? That's an impressive price) Played 3 and all had pretty obvious flaws on the neck/nut.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I had a faded cherry SG and liked it a lot.
I decided that I would prefer a full bling Custom and sold the faded.
I have not found the right replacement yet. I still need to clear 30 or more guitars and a few more amps/cabs before something comes home.
Most of my guitars have dots on the neck, and I would like a full bling version of a keeper guitar.
Still have a 2013 Prototype 50’s Tribute SG that just seems to growl in a Jr kind of way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought a faded special in that dark brown finish. I love, love, LOVE it. I love the huge neck and the super-thin finish. Has a unique tone as well - great for recording.

I'm on the "yay" train.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
My 95 is Heritage Cherry! Gorgeous colour except black would be better.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I had an SG faded and put a set of Wolfetone Legend PAF's in it

it was a killer guitar! wish I hadn't sold it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts