The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Apple is busy dominating the portable music player market with their iPods, Sony designs a new mp3 player that rolls across the floor, dances, spins and lights up to the beat. Attributes every consumer needs. I bet Apple is scared now... (heavy sarcasm))

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070910/ap_on_hi_te/sony_rolly_2;_ylt=Ap62C6PJeWivbYR1633LxXYE1vAI

When you think about it, Sony should have OWNED this market, they are (were) the leading electronics giants and had every advantage early on. They even had the legendary "Walkman" brand name that hit so hugely in the 80's and 90's. But instead they let Apple run away with the whole business while their engineers were apparently playing with robot toys and smoking crack :eek:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Some of Sony's Network walkmans are great. I have one the size of a lighter and built like a tank. Recharges in 30 minutes and lasts 3 days of being on steady without recharge.

The only problem is it only works with their propietary SonicStage software and aac format files which sucks.

Now to the irony:
They just dumped that software and went with windows media player and mp3/wma as the standard. Talk about hell freezing over.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have to agree with Jeff and Clinton. I've got a Sony NW-HD1 Network Walkman with a 20 gig hard drive and I've got around 800 songs on it but as was stated by Robboman, Sony really *should* have been the leader in MP3 players and not Apple. When I bought mine in late 2004 it did play MP3s but I had to send it to the States to have the EQ upgraded for MP3s as it only worked with ATRAC. I don't know what Sony was thinking when they first brought out their players and why they didn't use MP3s right from the beginning. I guess they really wanted to push their format. They ruled the 80's and 90's with their Walkman devices but I'm sure they're not suffering too much as they've got many other successful electronic devices. As for the spinning MP3 player, well I guess it would be good for kids and maybe that's who they'll market it to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts