·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reactions: boyscout

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
"What if nobody owned this resource..." etc. doesn't seem likely but an interesting talk.

As Mr. Pedersen admits first thinking himself my thought is, "There's gotta be a big 'BUT' in this somewhere, else why after 25 years of exploding interest in alternative energy hasn't it got more attention?"

If it's everything he says it is, godspeed Mr. Pedersen!

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
i have a hard time believing ted talks since they tried to normalize pedophilia.
They give a platform to all kinds of speakers. Just because one of them spoke on a controversial subject doesn’t mean they are all useless.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
They give a platform to all kinds of speakers. Just because one of them spoke on a controversial subject doesn’t mean they are all useless.
while that's true on the surface, they have banned talks they didn't agree with for various reasons. yet somehow, they condone this one? claiming pedophilia is normal is not science. you don't have to BE a scientist to know that.
it's not a controversial subject, it is giving platform to predators. you can't say rich people don't create jobs, but you apparently CAN say that wanting to fuck a child is normal. that's not the kind of place i want to trust when it comes to learning things.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
while that's true on the surface, they have banned talks they didn't agree with for various reasons. yet somehow, they condone this one? claiming pedophilia is normal is not science. you don't have to BE a scientist to know that.
it's not a controversial subject, it is giving platform to predators. you can't say rich people don't create jobs, but you apparently CAN say that wanting to fuck a child is normal. that's not the kind of place i want to trust when it comes to learning things.
I'd appreciate your taking your beef with TED talks to a separate thread.

The story about thorium is too important to side track.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
They took that one down and also put out a statement against pedophilia. The Hanauer thing was BS, but they did post one of his later talks on the subject. Anyway, despite some actions on their part that I don’t agree with, I still think there are some good TED Talks with interesting subject matter.

TEDx talk under review

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
initially, i really liked ted talks, because it helps people who aren't that smart or educated (myself for example) understand concepts they may not be exposed to otherwise. there were a few other talks they banned that miffed me, but i kinda blew it off as pc culture until recently.

but on topic:
i think it's alot of fun to imagine there is some magic bullet out there waiting for us to find it so it can solve our problems. imagining the possibilities is fun, at least for me.
i have been aware of thorium for about 2 yrs now. i can't claim to know much about it, but certainly it sounds interesting, from what i have heard. i just can't bring myself to believe that if such a thing were really within our grasp, that those people who control things would ever allow us to have such cheap, clean, energy. in my mind, it's a fairy tale. bill gates has a gazillion dollars. he gave a giant pile of it to the united abominations. if he cared about humanity the way people claim, surely he would get behind something like this in a big way. but there was no mention of him. if it's not going to make someone rich, they ain't gonna do it for mankind. those sorts of people don't exist anymore, if they ever did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts