The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Thorcraft Cobra vintage Canadian Classic amp

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Ricky Morelli 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got this Thorcraft Cobra amp awile back and it sounds great, sweet clean tones, not alot of headroom, but an amazing tremolo. I think it needs a cap job because it gets a bit muddy at loud volume. The original speaker isint that great so I usually line it out to a 12" speaker cab. Uses two EL-84's in the power section, so around 15-18 watts. Anyone else have one of these?

ps. All the searchs for this amp come up for the band named Thorcraft Cobra. Hopefully this post will shed a bit more light on the amp itself.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
About 7 years ago I serviced one for a fella in the GTA.
Lovely amp. Simple, highly tweak-able (though I kept it stock other than different bypass cap values on cathode 1 and 2 preamp).
Nice crunch from about 4 or 5 onward. Good transformers though on the smaller side (OT) if I remember correctly.
Put a Weber speaker in it . Can't remember the model- but it changed the whole thing into a serious piece of music business.

Enjoy!!

#15 ·
I have one of these guys, lovely little amp. Havent been able to find much info on them, just that it's mid 60s and made in Vancouver. Thinking about changing the speaker in mine also how does the jensen sound in comparison to stock? I happen to have one laying around...

#16 ·
I got one of these amps new on my birthday back in 1967. I went with my dad to Camguard Electronics that was located near Boundary and Hwy. Nr 1 in Vancouver. A great amp I used for a few years and sold it when I bought a Fender Dual Showman with 2 15 JBL at Tartini Music in New Westminster.
So I was dumb and sold the Thorcraft, but 2 years ago I found one on Ebay Canada in Quebec and had it shipped to B.C.
I put a Weber Signature Alnico in it and it sounded good....but not quite loud enough to keep up with the others in my band without miking it.
I put in a JBL K120 and it's amazing... warmer and higher volumes before it breaks up since the speaker is more
efficient. This way it will be cleaner still at a higher volume before it breaks up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.