The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got this Thorcraft Cobra amp awile back and it sounds great, sweet clean tones, not alot of headroom, but an amazing tremolo. I think it needs a cap job because it gets a bit muddy at loud volume. The original speaker isint that great so I usually line it out to a 12" speaker cab. Uses two EL-84's in the power section, so around 15-18 watts. Anyone else have one of these?

ps. All the searchs for this amp come up for the band named Thorcraft Cobra. Hopefully this post will shed a bit more light on the amp itself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ya this amp was made by Hank Thorkelsson. Early on he worked on radios with Gar Gillies (Garnet). He started Thorcraft in Vancouver, making class A amps in the 60's.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
LOL they just posted it a few minutes ago on their Instagram.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the Mustang, a lower wattage amp compared to the Cobra. My buddy had one and it was cool.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm fixing up the Thorcraft with a new vintage Jensen c12n and giving it some new capacitors , cant wait.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
About 7 years ago I serviced one for a fella in the GTA.
Lovely amp. Simple, highly tweak-able (though I kept it stock other than different bypass cap values on cathode 1 and 2 preamp).
Nice crunch from about 4 or 5 onward. Good transformers though on the smaller side (OT) if I remember correctly.
Put a Weber speaker in it . Can't remember the model- but it changed the whole thing into a serious piece of music business.

Enjoy!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts