The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,596 Posts
Other notable instruments in what Christie’s has dubbed “The David Gilmour Guitar Collection” include a white Stratocaster, circa 1954, with the serial number #0001 (played on “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)”) and a 1958 Gretsch Penguin. Both are expected to go for between $100,000 and $150,000. He’s also auctioning the red 1984 Strat he played during Eighties and Nineties ($15,000 – $25,000), a 1969 Martin D-35 ($10,000 – $20,000) and a 1955 goldtop Les Paul ($30,000 – $50,000). There are also a number of less famous guitars going to auction with estimates for as little as $300.

I still have a chance to own a Gilmour guitar!!

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Gilmour said that people should not interpret this auction as any indication of retirement. “Retiring is not a hard and fast thing for me in my life,” he said. “I don’t really have to retire. I don’t have to say those words. I don’t have to state that have retired or anything like that. If I retire, it will be a quiet, unnoticeable process at some point. But I’m not at that moment.”

"unnoticeable" ???!!!

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Gilmour said that people should not interpret this auction as any indication of retirement. “Retiring is not a hard and fast thing for me in my life,” he said. “I don’t really have to retire. I don’t have to say those words. I don’t have to state that have retired or anything like that. If I retire, it will be a quiet, unnoticeable process at some point. But I’m not at that moment.”

"unnoticeable" ???!!!
That's a cool way of handling it, IMO (as I watch the Who do their, what, 13th tour after their famed 'last one' in 1984 LOL).

I seriously don't think about Gilmour every day. Or every week. Quite possibly not even every month. I am a PF fan and have many of their albums. But to think that every artist has to go through a big 'song and dance' when they decide to pack 'er in isn't right. Everyone has to approach the momentous decision in their own way. To want to fade away isn't so bad, not everyone needs attention for every step of their career.

Not everyone has to be this way, as per Bob Dylan.

"Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas. Nope never heard of him. Pretty sure it was Bob.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm thinking the black strat will sell for waayyyy more than the estimate. Same thing with the white 54 strat. Should be a fun auction to watch.

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
Not much of a Strat guy these days, so no temptation there - just curiosity.

That D35 though? Ouch. Probably a very desirable Brazilian RW with no truss rod. I like very much!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
While the black Strat is certainly iconic it's been extensively modded and changed over the years. The only part left from the early days is the body and possibly the selector switch . It's been through a crap load of different parts over the years I including necks. It'll probably sell for a boat load of money anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While the black Strat is certainly iconic it's been extensively modded and changed over the years. The only part left from the early days is the body and possibly the selector switch . It's been through a crap load of different parts over the years I including necks. It'll probably sell for a boat load of money anyway.
This is one of the reasons why this will sell so high. The buyer’s going to want to see what was done.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts