The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts with an F and ends with a resounding UCK!!!!

While replacing the stock Jensen speaker on my DRRI with a Tone Tubby TTE Ceramic I accidentally tore the cone on those pointy little screws that hold the speaker in - hasn't Fender heard of T-nuts. Luckily it was the Jensen...Whew. But still, is this repairable?? Anyone.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Starts with an F and ends with a resounding UCK!!!!

While replacing the stock Jensen speaker on my DRRI with a Tone Tubby TTE Ceramic I accidentally tore the cone on those pointy little screws that hold the speaker in - hasn't Fender heard of T-nuts. Luckily it was the Jensen...Whew. But still, is this repairable?? Anyone.
White glue and rolling papers. I don't see any picks but I've had patches in the middle of the cone last a loooong time. The edge is a different story.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooopps! Forgot the pics...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hamm is right, white glue and rolling papers or a chunk of a brown paper bag. An old tech showed me that back in the 70s and I've used it lots of time with excellent success, just make sure you soak the paper in the glue and for an edge repair like that I use a toothpick or something similar to get it to conform to the shape.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
If you still have the little piece of paper, you might try Speaker Service Cement made by MG Chemicals. It's a rubberized glue specifically made for repairing speakers and even comes with a brush applicator. You can find this stuff at most commercial electronic supply stores.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
If you still have the little piece of paper, you might try Speaker Service Cement made by MG Chemicals. It's a rubberized glue specifically made for repairing speakers and even comes with a brush applicator. You can find this stuff at most commercial electronic supply stores.
Or, you might try standard LePage's Contact Cement. Cut it with thinner 2:1.

Do a couple of coats but keep them thin! "Spike" punctures are easily repaired because there's little or no force from the cone movement that will pull on the glue. A long rip is a different story but a good repair will last the life of the speaker.

I also use white WeldBond glue, made into a pulp with paper towel fibres. The trick is to not get a heavy blob at one spot, unbalancing the cone. This works ok for small holes.

The "edge" tears with the ripples in the cone material are the worst!:eek:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You may want to try clear nail polish. I've repaired a speak with rice paper (some zigzags might work) and clear polish.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the suggestions you guys. I'm really diggin the Tone Tubby Ceramic - Takes the spikey edge of the highs and the fizziness out of the distortion. An excellent speaker. As for the Jensen, I'm just really pissed off that I make such a stupid mistake - I'll blame it on the cold I have. lol.

I'm gonna sit down and try one of your home remedies (once I get rid of this damn cold...sniff...). Thanks again :bow:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions you guys. I'm really diggin the Tone Tubby Ceramic - Takes the spikey edge of the highs and the fizziness out of the distortion. An excellent speaker. As for the Jensen, I'm just really pissed off that I make such a stupid mistake - I'll blame it on the cold I have. lol.

I'm gonna sit down and try one of your home remedies (once I get rid of this damn cold...sniff...). Thanks again :bow:
I'll give you one of my grannies home remedies for a cold. Now bear in mind this woman didn't drink. boil some water like your making tea, add irish whiskey (rum works good too), sugar to taste and a dash of lemon. Drink it down, then wrap yourself in a couple of blankets and sweat it out. It really works. Now, if you indulge in a couple or so of those toddies you don't really care you have a cold :D

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Now what would a guitar player be doing with zigzags??????????????? :eek:
Gee.... Canadian geetar players never make much money and have to roll their own smokes. I would recommend a heavier brand like Vogue or those good Aquafuge papers. The Zig Zags are a little thin.:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Gee.... Canadian geetar players never make much money and have to roll their own smokes. I would recommend a heavier brand like Vogue or those good Aquafuge papers. The Zig Zags are a little thin.:smilie_flagge17:
:smile: Thin papers work well as you build them up in layers with the whole thing impregnated with white glue. Putting a paper on either side of the cone doesn't add much mass, as would thicker paper would.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'd like to add to the compilation of glue-like substances to use for repairing speaker cones: Shoe Goo. I usedthat for a friend's cone with a big long rip and it has seemed to work quite well for some time now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts