The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
You pack enough humans together, living in squalid conditions, in close proximity to all kinds of livestock, garbage and unsanitary conditions, it's just a matter of time before something terrible happens. We got lucky with SARs and the Avian Flu.

·
Premium Member
26,794 Posts
Although I wouldn't describe Minnesota in quite that way, but I get your point.

The kid profiled in the ABC piece is a little misleading in some ways. His weakness appears, from the footage. to be on one side, which may not be characteristic of the other patients with this. But yeah, anything that impairs motor functioning in anyone of any age is a public health concern.

Since polio itself is quite rare now, in terms of new cases, many folks are unfamiliar with post-polio syndrome: Post-Polio Syndrome Fact Sheet | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke I canvassed for the March of Dimes once, which was established in response to the polio outbreak in the '50s. Between the fact that their fund drive was in February, where not many people enjoy opening their front door for anything, and the fact that only folks 60 or over remember polio as a dangerous disease, I didn't get much of a reception.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is that we are a dying breed of folks and thus very little research is ever going to be done and I can't help but agree that at this point it would be a waste of good money most of us are in the 60's and 70's and we have a greater chance to pass then most.
Even the March of Dimes has switched its mandate to other things which they should however polio ids not as rare as we would like to believe we have seen outbreaks in area's that do not immunize the kids so one must be careful.
Now as for this new thing I found it kind of bizzare that it is so spread out with no clusters of outbreaks even knowing that it is viral and should spread but the problem seems to be that they do not know how it presents itself initially with polio you get flu like symptoms first before the paralysis starts to show up however the inflammation in the spinal cord is fairly close to each other. Most cases seem to come from homes well kept so I doubt its garbage or anything like you mentioned and being its viral well that passes from human to human more then any other way. Lets hope they manage to eliminate it sooner then later.
Links | Post Polio Awareness and Support Society of BC
Australia is more advanced when it comes to dealing with Post polio and seem to have a better understanding of what goes on with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts